9: Psych project, Perrie, 2

Jade's POV

I paced up and down the hallway as I waited for Perrie to get ready. She had a huge breakdown, and watching her this way really pained me. I used to dislike her with all my heart, but now, I kind of understand why she behaves the way she does some times. If bullying me could save her from the pain she feels, I'd gladly allow her to do so.

From what I could make out, it was her birthday, and her dad forgot about it. I guess her dad really meant a lot to her- much more than she did to him. Now I had the remaining 15 minutes or so while she was inside to cook up a surprise. I hope it'll make her feel better.

She walked out with a fresh coat of make up, but the tear stains were still evident on her cheeks. It really does hurt me to see her this way.

"Feeling better?" I asked. She just nodded her head.

"Let's go!" I perked up, pulling her hand along, but she resisted.

"Jade, you don't have to do this for me.." She was looking down, playing with her freshly done nails.

"I don't have to, but I want to, Perrie. Let me, please." She nodded.

"I can drive." She volunteered. I just laughed in response.

"How do you know where I'm going to bring you? No worries, I can drive. You ride shotgun."

***

Crying must have taken a huge toll on her energy, because once she boarded the car, her eyes were shut.

"Perrie?" I shook her lightly, and her blue eyes were open again.

"Do you mind if I pick Nathan up first? I know it's your birthday and all but.." She pressed a finger to my lip to silence me.

"Just go." Her voice sounded lethargic and tired.

"Alright, you take a nap first alright? It's going to be a long drive because I ain't speeding.." I think I saw a small smile crack from her lips, but she just nodded, turned her face away and drifted off to sleep.

I stepped on the accelerator as soon as we pulled out of parking. Damn, this car could really go fast. I know breaking the limits wasn't a good thing to do, but I had to pick Nathan up AND prepare a surprise during the short span of her nap, so I didn't have a choice.

***

"Mama, Pear sleep?" Strange. I'm pretty sure Nathan was asleep the other day when Pez was here. How could he have known her name? I brushed it off anyway. Maybe he's just calling her Pear because of her green jumper.

"Yes. Perrie is asleep, so Nathan you've got to be quiet okay? It's Perrie's birthday, and we are going to surprise her!" I whispered softly to the curious toddler.

"Pear birthday! Nathan surprise!" He squealed, excited at the mention of surprises.

"Nathan! Shhh..." I pressed my finger to my lip, reminding him to quieten down.

He finally lowered his voice, mimicking my actions. "Shh... Pear sleep."

After a trip to the grocery and cake store, we finally made our way back to the apartment. Crying must have utterly drained her out, because Pez was still asleep. I didn't know what to do with her, and I didn't want to wake her yet since I still had to prepare, so I left her back there in the car together with a note. If she still wasn't awake when we were done, then I'd go down to get her.

Once we were back, Nathan skipped his way to his school backpack, pouring out his crayons.

"Pear birthday. Nathan draw." He was such a sweetheart.