Commencer

The shattered debris and broken glass shards scattered in every direction, leaving traces of blood and wounded corpses along the burning barracks

Who would have thought that they'll die in such a way?

The explosive devices placed under each truck were designed only to give a surprising, small effect. However contemplating on this mission gave her an idea that the kerosene, which these trucks were supposed to deliver, will sure add another deadly impact with the bombs.

Now here she is, walking casually towards a specific spot in the forest and away from the devastated area. On her dominant hand dangled a key, with a red cord tied unto it. The large outflow of smoke which roared upon the burning hectares passed by her nose, yet she inhaled normally as if it didn't bother her—because for her, it is the scent of victory.

Sighing, she looked up at the sky, anticipating the weather forecast overview for today. And instinctively, her hunch is correct.

Dark clouds blocked the moon and star from the view, also preventing these celestial bodies to shower the night with their luminousness. The autumn breeze gradually flew colder and colder, but not freezing enough like the icy waters she swam through in order to pass her hypothermiaーresistance test.

A little later, the sound of lightning travelled on her ears.

It will rain.

And once it will, she can prove that only the corpses were burned, and not the entirety of the forest.

Her higher-ups may question why she is hesitant to destroy this green biodiversity but truth be told, she has more concern to nature, than mercy to man.

Not far from her was a Cadillac series 62 hiding near the tree trucks, with a man leaning against its hood. A mahogany trilby hat covered half of his visage, but with his stance and stature, she knew or more properly, suspected, who it was in just one look.

She halted shortly, wanting to make sure that he is him. Her ghoul* never told her, or probably forgot to mention, the name of whoever will be the sleeping agent who will aid her in this mission. What she knows Is that he has been a spy as well, who stopped operating almost a year ago.

Her pause took quite a time and there she caught herself still gazing at the man and meditating on his connection with the key on her hand. Subconsciously, she cleaned her throat, also winning the attention of this ­enigmatic man.

As he turned his head towards her, she managed to take a complete look unto him. Much to her surprise, he even took of his hat as if he expected the way she wondered at him.

His colors were hard to distinguish, especially due to the darkness hovering around them, yet she realized how entranced she is at taking sight across his visible features.

A smile appeared on her lips as she recognized this man. Approaching his direction whilst his lips formed a foxy smirk, she greeted him: "Pleasure meeting you again."

A little later, she felt the first batch of raindrops slowly trickle on her face.

──── ∗ ⋅◈⋅ ∗ ────

Memorandum

First and foremost, I'd like to give thanks to the reader who came across this new novel of mine! Thank you so much for allowing my book to swallow your interest (or so?) Hee~ this truly is my first Joker Game Fanfiction and I'm hoping for any positive feedbacks or humorous comments in the near future. Even so, I still welcome constructive criticisms with open arms <3

Thank you once again and let me remind you that this memorandum is not the end of this commencer. :D

+ Dedicated to Iknowthisworld, as a present :D

*ghouls, in spy terminologies,  is an agent who searches obituaries and graveyards for names of the deceased for use by active agents. Though here in this chapter, the main female protagonist referred to her ghoul more as her assistant and researcher.

──── ∗ ⋅◈⋅ ∗ ────

Autumn 1941

The embers may have disappeared but it now gave way to the fire of war to take place. For Yuuki, this uprise is the second he will witness across his lifetime, or unless one will occur in his later years.

Issues regarding the suspension of the D-agency arose among the members of the Military seniors and Yuuki, will yet to know their final verdict.

Fingers intertwined and both elbows leaning on his desks, Yuuki began to read the Daily newspaper with his austere eyes hiding a tint of concern.

Peacetime has flown away and a spies worth is being challenged. Once a war or a need for physical combat evokes, the spies' identities will be uncovered and they'll be forced to fight physically, eventually breaking their Don't Die. Don't kill rule. And though they were trained to be stoic and invincible while undergoing unbearable pain and extreme pressure, especially during times of capture, the enemy's search for answers will or might replace a spy's confidence with patriotism.

Though for a certain group of spies, or monsters rather, that course of decision is shockingly debatable.

"Colonel, do you think Japan will win this war?"

He remembered the question asked to him by a military comrade. At first, he declined to give an answer, doubtful of how events are turning out, but now he is certain—certain why the state must allow the D-agency to proceed with its operations.

And how come?

The answer is simple.

[Storm saves forest from a sudden fire outbreak. The American Government volunteered in investigating this case and discovered that the burned structure was a hideout of the fire materials and kerosene which are used by the German Government.]

Her existence is a more than enough reason for this state to leave its care to them.