Story of A Hero

Hermione's POV:

The next morning, I woke to a clamor of sounds upstairs. I heard Lucius Malfoy and two other men curse loudly and then three loud thuds. My heart raced as I heard the dungeon door creak open, nervousness and anticipation raced through me at the same time.

"Mione?" I heard a voice call out. My heart swelled when I realized help had finally arrived.

"Draco! Draco! Down here!" I called out, my heart swelling.

"Mione! Thank goodness you're okay! Did they hurt you? Let me see you, are you alright?" Remus questioned, rushing down the stairs.

"Remus!" I ran and hugged him. "They haven't hurt me in ways that can't heal. I'll be fine in time." I replied, a smile spreading across my pale face.

"Thank goodness. We were worried sick about you!" He said, smiling into my back.

"We? It's not just you?" I questioned, my heart racing again.

"Hermione!" Draco came racing down down the stairs, pulling me into a huge hug. "Are you alright? Did those arses hurt you?"

"Draco, I'm fine. Really. I'll be okay. I already told Remus that." I laughed. "I don't know about Eileen, though." I said, motioning to the cold cage on the stone floor.

I scooped the tiny girl up in my arms, coddling her and cooing to her that it would be okay in the end. I knew nothing would ever be okay or the same since the war, but she didn't need to know that just yet. She was still young and innocent. If it was up to me, she would stay that way forever, but that may just be a maternal aspect.

"Hermione-" Draco started.

"Draco, where's Severus?" I said, realization rushing to me like a bullet train.

"Hermione-" Draco said again. This time, his voice was lower, laced with regret.

"Draco! Tell me he's okay! He is okay, right? Draco!" I shrieked, as his eyes could not lie on me. "Oh god, no!" I cried, handing Eileen to Remus and crumpling onto the floor. "Why?!?" I shrieked, my eyes pouring.

My heart stopped and I felt it shatter into a million pieces. My breathing laboured suddenly. I wanted to die right then and there, life wasn't worth living without him. He was my everything. He was my best friend, lover, anchor, and teacher. He kept me alive and became a father to my child when he didn't even know her biological father and he didn't have to. He stood with me through illnesses and childbirth. He watched over me like a guardian angel. He was my angel. Angel. He was an angel now, never to be on this cruel earth again. He was with others he loved, and I was just galad he was happy.

"D-did you watch...did you watch as he - as he died?" I finally managed to stutter out. It was a question I couldn't ask, but wanted it answered completely.

"No, Hermione. He died a hero. He and I were escaping Azkaban when the Dementors flooded in and he told me to run. He told me that you and I should be happy together, that I was your true love. So I ran without looking back."

"But you didn't see him die?" I perked up, suddenly having hope.

"No. I didn't. I couldn't bear to watch and I figured I should respect his wishes and run when he told me. If he was willing to give up his life for me, I minis well do as he said. I'm sorry, Hermione." He apologized, but with each word, he gave me hope.

I handed him Eileen and took off. I had to find Severus. There was a chance he was still alive, and I wasn't willing to give up that chance just yet. I sprinted to outside the Manor, passing many petrified Death Eaters on the way, and waited a second before apparating away.

When the blur stopped, I looked around to find myself on the floor of Azkaban. I inhaled quickly and heavily as I realized I had splinched myself. I cursed internally and prayed I could see Severus from my position.

With my good arm, I dug in my bag for the healing potion. I found it and pulled it out when another nimble hand ripped it deftly out of my hand. I cursed at the person, altering my body to look at the owner of the hand.

I chuckled sarcastically as I looked up and saw the man I was supposed to be saving, saving me. Severus knelt down behind me and take my head gently in his hands. He poured the purple potion down my throat and on my collarbone and I sat up after a few moments.

"I'm supposed to be saving you, you undead arse!" I giggled, smacking him on the chest. He was definitely thinner and weaker, not the invincible man I had always known him to be.

"Well, you always save me! I wanted to switch it up this time. Can you hate me for saving you?" He smiled back, unable to contain his joy. "Why did you come back? You could've been safe and happy with Draco. He's rich, young, strong, and nice, but he is a little shit. Why did you come back for me, though? Did he not make it to you? Doesn't surprise me."

"No! I could never be happy with Draco! I love you, Severus!" I giggled again, overjoyed that he wasn't dead, as I presumed. "Since when do you dislike Draco, anyhow?"

"Since the moment he started fancying you. Can you hate me for being jealous?" He smirked down at me.

"Never." I smiled, then pulled him in for a long and gentle kiss. "Wow." I said when we finally pulled apart.

"What? Are you going back to Malfoy since I'm a bad kisser?" He asked, worrying flashing across his dark eyes.

"No, that was amazing. It sent jolts through me. Especially when I realized it was our first kiss." I teased, biting my lip.

"How about we get out of this dark place and we can do a reprise of that later?" He said, standing and taking my hands.

"I couldn't have said it better myself." I laughed, and followed him to the floo portal upstairs.