Chapter Two

"Your father will drive you to lacrosse Ryder," Kayla said as she walked past his bedroom door. It was cracked open a little and she could see him getting his lacrosse bag ready.

"Bronson is coming to pick me up in five minutes," he answered back. Kayla walked into his room: it was a mess, his clothes were everywhere, his bed hadn't been made that day and he had binders and notebooks strewn across his floor.

"Are you going to clean your room?" she asked him putting a hand on her hip and staring at the mess as he looked up at her. She realized she had become her own mother.

"No," he said bluntly staring back at her. He had the same stubborn eyes as Colton, the same jaw-line, and the same face in everyway. It took her breath away; she couldn't believe she her son looked identical to the man she married twenty years ago.

"I'm sorry, what did you say?" she asked him. She stared at him and when he looked up at her, he realized she didn't get his joke and stopped smirking immediately.

"Just kidding mom, I'll clean it when I get home tonight and after dinner," Ryder said smiling. It was the same smile Colton used to give her. She smiled weakly at him and went back down to the kitchen to begin dinner. Colton had gone back to work and he probably wouldn't be back until dinner was put on the table. Katie was sitting at the kitchen island with her books spread out and the TV on.

"What are you doing down here?" Kayla asked as she walked into the room. Katie sat up and turned around to see her mother walking into the room.

"My business homework," she answered looking back down at her notebooks. Her thick-rimmed glasses were sitting on the edge of her nose and she pushed it back up the bridge of her nose when she looked up at her mother.

"Business mmhmm. What are you doing for it?" Kayla asked as she began to peel potatoes. Katie looked like Colton and her enthusiasm about her father's business amazed and bothered Kayla. She was happy that her youngest daughter was enthused about something other than her looks, like Charlotte, but it terrified her because she didn't want Katie to be exactly like her father. Kayla sometimes felt that Colton's job made him isolate himself from the people he loved, but then again she thought that sometimes he just isolated himself because it was easier for him. Less people to show any sore of affection to.

"We have to write a paper on a successful business and explain why the business is successful. Thankfully dad has a very successful business and when he comes home I can get him to help me with it," Katie said enthusiastically. Kayla smiled at her and continued to get the food ready. The front door slammed in the entryway and both Kayla and Katie turned to look at who it was. They both knew of course, but they wanted to see why she was so angry. Charlotte ran upstairs without saying anything and Katie turned around and looked at her mother. They both raised their eyebrows and chuckled at each other. A few minutes later Mikey walked into the kitchen and sat down beside Katie.

"Did your sister drive you home?" Kayla asked looking up at Mikey.

"Yeah," he said unenthused. Both Kayla and Katie looked at each other and waited for Mikey to elaborate. "I guess Giovanna called her about a shoot they were suppose to do in Italy next week and Giovanna cancelled." Kayla nodded her head knowing that in a few minutes Charlotte would be downstairs and they would all hear about it.

"How was your day mom?" Mikey asked. Mikey was more like Kayla in every way; he was quiet, modest, kind, and gentle like his mother, and incredibly good with children. He was completely opposite of his father and Kayla was happy about that. At least one of her children was like her.

"It was good. Did some shopping and went out for a bit. Went to the lawyer's office with dad for a meeting and then came home. How was your day?" she asked. Mikey was always so polite.