Chapter Thirteen

Colton got in the car and waited for both Ryder and Mikey to join him. They had a soccer game and this was one of the first games Colton was able to make this year. Kayla was taking Charlotte to a photo-shoot and Katie was off to school. The boys jumped into the car and they were off to the field. The ride was silent as the boys had their headphones on blasting music and Colton listened to the radio on the long ride to the field. When they arrived Colton said good luck to the boys and they grabbed their bags and ran to the field to join their team. Colton walked slowly behind them and sat down on the bleachers by himself. He didn't know many of the parents and preferred to watch the boys play rather than participate in parent gossip.

Colton sat down on the bleachers and pulled out his phone to check his email while the boys warmed up. It had been a long time since he had last watched them play and he was excited to see how well they were doing.

As the game progressed both Ryder and Mikey had scored a goal and their team was still winning 2-1. When the whistle went after stoppage time, they had won the game and Colton stood up clapping with the other parents and then jumped off the bleachers to wait for his sons to join him.

He didn't stand with the rest of the parents because he didn't know them, clearly. And most of them gossiped about him and Kayla anyway and their drama just wasn't worth his time.

"Hi, are you Colton Manning?" A man asked with a grey fedora on matching his grey suit. Colton nodded staring at the man wondering who it could be. "You've just been served. Have a nice day." The man quickly took off before Colton had any time to react and he held a large envelope in his hand. Colton opened the envelope and read the papers inside:

OFFICIAL DIVORCE DOCUMENTS

Those were the only words he read until his anger began to boil up in him. His hands began to shake and he stalked off quickly to the car so no one would notice. He waited for Ryder and Mikey to join him there and tried contain his anger, but it was difficult.

"Great game you two," he said encouragingly as they began to drive off. They both said thank you and then began talking about the game in the backseat while Colton half listened. He was thinking about the divorce papers. How could she do that? She didn't even tell him. They were getting along so well and now divorce papers. When he parked in the driveway the boys jumped out immediately and Colton walked out slowly after them with the envelope in his hand.

He walked into the house and tripped over the boy's soccer bags, cursed them, and then walked into the kitchen. Kayla wasn't there and he wanted to talk to her about the papers but he didn't want the kids to know about them. He pulled out his bottle of scotch and a glass and put ice in it and filled it up.

"Hey daddy, I didn't know you were home today," Charlotte said as she walked into the kitchen. Colton turned around and smiled at her.

"Yeah I took your brothers to their soccer game today. Where is your mom?" He asked hoping she was in the house somewhere.

"She is out doing something, maybe shopping but I'm not sure," Charlotte said shrugging her shoulders as she put on a brown leather jacket. She pulled her long brown hair up so it didn't get caught in the zipper and then let it fall around her shoulders as she did her jacket up.

"Where are you going?" He asked as he finished his second glass of scotch.

"I have a photo-shoot with auntie today," she said excitedly as she came around the counter and kissed Colton on the cheek before leaving. "See you later!"

"Have fun," Colton yelled after her and went back to drinking his scotch. He went into the library and sat in his favorite chair until Kayla came back home. Colton had finished the entire bottle of scotch by the time Kayla came into the room. She sat down beside him with a glass of wine and waited for Colton to say something.