Chapter Six

"What did you think would come of this?" Kayla asked angrily as she got dressed watching the television hanging on their bedroom wall. She was outraged at what happened last night, Colton got drunk and made a spectacle of them. The news reporter was showing the photo of them and their family on the red carpet and then the video of them kissing on the dance floor. Colton just shrugged his shoulders as he was buttoning up his dress shirt.

"What does it matter? We were trying to fake our relationship and it seems to be working pretty well," Colton said pointing at the TV screen. He didn't see what was so wrong with it. They kissed, so what they were married.

"What did you think because we made out and had sex our relationship is fixed and we can go back to being normal? Whatever our normal is?" Kayla asked staring at him. Yeah, maybe it was nice, but it doesn't fix everything.

"Well then what does it mean Dr. Kayla, since you clearly know everything about us," Colton said becoming angry.

"I don't know what it means! But it doesn't mean we are just going to ignore everything else. I am not one of those young girls who fawn all over you. I am your wife and I deserve more respect then that!" Kayla yelled at him. Colton stood up straight and his body began to shake with anger. He walked towards the bed and glared at Kayla. She began to back up; whenever he became angry it scared her.

"IF I DIDN'T RESPECT YOU, YOU WOULD NOT BE LIVING IN THIS HOUSE NOR WOULD YOU HAVE YOUR CHILDREN!" Colton bellowed at her. Kayla walked backwards a few steps. She had never seen Colton so angry in the entire time they had been together. Tears began to fall from her eyes and she couldn't wipe them away fast enough. "Your tears will not make me feel guilty for what I said." He stared at her with an unblinking eye and grabbed his tie and slammed the door on the way out. Kayla waited a few minutes before completely falling apart and falling to their bed. She crumpled in tears and sat there for an hour before getting back up to attempt to compose herself. She was thankful that their children had all been out of the house so they did not have to hear what their father had just yelled.

Colton had slammed all of the doors on his way out of the house and Kayla finally regained her strength and walked downstairs. She was glad there was no one in the house, she just needed to relax and register what had just happened. He had never yelled at her like that before, even when they had had bad fights, he would never raise his voice like that. She had to figure out someway to fix this or just muster up the strength to say it was all over and there was no reason to fix their marriage.

"Hi, Dr. Kyle, I was wondering if you would be able to squeeze me in today?" Kayla asked.

"Yes, I have an opening at 10am," she answered. "Is Colton coming as well?"

"No," she said quietly.

"Hmm, you have had a fight," she said matter-of-factly. Kayla was surprised she could figure that out just by hearing one word.

"Yeah, I just want to talk about it," Kayla finally answered.

"No problem. I will see you at 10," Dr. Kyle said before hanging up. Kayla hung up and went back to lying on the couch. What was she going to do?

When Colton entered his office he was furious. He had driven angrily to the office and almost got in three accidents, which would have been his fault entirely. He was slamming doors as he walked through the floors and punching the elevator buttons hoping it would make the elevator move faster. Gabriella saw him and ran to the elevator to talk with him.

"What is going on with you?" she asked concerned. She still looked the same, maybe a little bit older, but nothing too drastic. She was still as beautiful as when Colton first met her 20 years ago. The only different thing now was the accusation of an affair that hung over their heads. It was the one thing making their friendship and work relationship strained. But Colton could not fire her he needed her.