Six

Because of you I can feel myself slowly but surely becoming the me I have always dreamed of being.
- Tyler Knott Gregson

I had expected his floor to be..well...plain. But it was actually nice. Welcoming. Warm.

"This is nice." I smiled at Mariano.

He grunted. "My mom decorated it. My house is better, I swear."

I laughed. "Sure."

There was a huge bed and a television in front of it. The curtains were blue, the walls and floor dark - wooden. A lone flowerpot stood on his bedside table, a single black rose in it. On the wall facing his bed was a painting with something written on it. It was beautiful, even though I didn't understand a word of the ones painted.

The room was beautiful, but...bland.

There was a couch too. A white shirt lay carelessly thrown on it. I laughed on seeing it, and Mariano remained impassive. I ventured deeper inside. He pointed to the bathroom and said I could shower if I wanted to. I shook my head.

"You can go to sleep. I have work to do." He said. "Wear something of mine." He pointed to his closet.

"Thanks." I said. I wanted to go home, but I had understood by now that Mariano wasn't who I'd made him out to be. Whatever safety hazard there was, it must be true.

"Or mine, gattina." A man emerged from behind Mariano, who had been standing against the door to his bathroom.

I shrieked at his sudden appearance. Mariano turned instinctively and had a gun pointed at the man's head.

"Emilio." Mariano sighed and took away the gun.

"Fratello, where's the love?" Emilio grinned.

(Brother)

Mariano grunted. "This is my brother, Bella."

I smiled quickly at Emilio. "Ciao." I told him.

He laughed. "Not Italian?"

I shook my head.

Emilio didn't look like Mariano at all. Mariano had this rugged, caveman brand of handsome. Emilio was...pretty. Clean shaven, jaw cut, icy blue eyes. He was slightly shorter than Mariano, but not enough to be intimidated. Both of them were good looking - just, very differently.

"So are you the woman everyone's been talking about?" Emilio asked me.

The first person who talked about me to me and not to Mariano.

"Sí." Mariano answered for me anyway.

He needed to learn that I had a mouth.

"I have a mouth, you know," I rolled my eyes at him, "Tounge and lips."

Mariano grinned at me roguishly. "Oh yes, I plan to put them to use." He seemed to realise his mistake all too soon. I smiled at him, letting him know that I was fine. I hadn't closed off. My body liked the idea of him using me. Fuck.

Emilio coughed awkwardly. "Please don't let me in on your sex life."

"Yes, Mariano, please." I said. Emilio winked at me.

Mariano's eyes caught the swift motion.

"Lei è mia." He told his brother sharply.

(She's mine.)

Emilio's eyes narrowed, and suddenly gone was all his boyish charm. I shivered at the darkness in his expression.

"Non è stato solo un atto?" Emilio questioned tauntingly. "Per mantenere lui al sicuro?"

(Wasn't it just an act? To keep her safe?)

"Sai perché ho detto che." Mariano gritted.

(You know why I said that.)

I looked between the two of them. The tension cooled down. I gulped. Mariano's head swang sideways to look at me.
"Go to sleep." He snapped.

I nodded vigorously. "Good night, Emilio."

Emilio returned a small smile to me. "Buona notte, Isabelle."

(Good night)

I smiled at Mariano, then took off towards his closet. The closet was, well, small. Not as big as I'd expected it to be. But he didn't live here, right, so it was fine. All I could see were dark, dark, black suits. And white shirts. And boxers. My cheeks colored when I spotted them in a corner. I'm such a prude. I rummaged around for t shirts but there were none. Did he sleep in a suit too? I chose a white cotton shirt and walked towards the bathroom.

Mariano and Emilio were gone now. I wandered back to take a peek outside. But, voila, Mariano had locked me in. I stripped down and wore the shirt, inhaling his musky smell like a creep. Finally, exhausted as fuck, I fell down face first on his bed. Oh damn, it smelled like him. I loved it. And it was so soft, so bouncy. So much better than the bed I had at my apartment. Like heaven, maybe.

I thought about guns and black roses as I fell asleep.

I woke to the sound of shots being fired. Shrieking, I tried to sit up, but realised that a large arm held me captive.

"Go to sleep, Bella." Mariano drawled lazily, pulling me closer into him. My back was snuggled close to his chest. Our legs were entwined, and I could feel him on my upper thigh. I tried not to shiver at the proximity, but failed terribly. His chuckle reverberated through my back.

"What's happening?" I whispered.

"Its nothing." He whispered back. "Close your eyes." He ordered. My eyes fell shut instinctively. His lips made a soft, faint pattern up the back of my neck, and lingered at my forehead for a moment. I could feel his heart thudding inside his chest. Mine was beating too fast too. And he knew, I think. I found myself snuggling closer into his warmth. What was I doing? Mariano kissed the top of my head softly.

"Go to sleep, mia bella." He said. "I'm here."

Stupid, lazy body. I should've run away, but I held the arm he had wound around me, and went to sleep.

Well, Vote People!! And comment!