Sob Story

I spent the rest of the day practicing well past when my arms screamed but I couldn't bring myself to stop. Eventually Tauriel and Legolas had to go visit Tharanduil, not expecting me to want to stay so long. Despite this, I continued, hobbling with my crutches to retrieve my arrows. I don't know why, but after this round, I decided to forego the second crutch and just use one to swing my weight instead of gingerly moving with two.

This is actually pretty fun! It reminds me of the eleven dancers I saw at parties from my window, with the long, flexible sticks they used to throw themselves around above and around the crowd.

When I reach the target I feel a warm hand on my shoulder. I spin with a handful of arrows and make eye contact with an elven woman. Silver speckles her hair and her eyes have heavy bags under them. Despite this, there a warmth about her that I'm drawn to.

"Hello." I say, confused.

"Hello dear, what are you called?"

"Laurien Ma'am, is something wrong?"

"No Laurien, nothing I just haven't seen you about recently and I couldn't help but notice your leg. My name is Darunia Genvyre, I'm a nurse in the castle infirmary."

I laugh nervously, worried she'll tell me to stop or something. "I just arrived here a few days ago. But I'm trying to get back to my old life, I promise I'll be careful I'm just not quite done here and-"

She cuts me off. "Oh no! Don't stop, I'm just wondering if you were here on other business or if you could be bothered to come visit us sometime."

"No other business ma'am."

"Perfect! Well, when you're done here, we could use someone to help. You aren't the only fighter who's having to come with a new disability."

My curiosity is peaked, and I answer too quickly "I'd love to!"

She laughs, "Want to come now then, just to see?" After putting up my arrows I follow her down an unfamiliar hall. "Most of the people with mild injuries have already been released to their families' care. Everyone who is left has a substantial injury from the war or no family to stay with. Your injury has healed faster than most. I hoped that you could offer some hope, and I'm sure you can learn a few things too." I nod, happy she is walking slow enough for me to keep up. "This is where our healer's assistants sleep and where we keep our supplies" she announces, swinging open a door to reveal a dozen or so elves, bustling in white robes around the room. "It's the center of our infirmary, with wings radiating out from here. Janos!" she waves a elven man over to us. "This is Laurien, I thought you could take her on a few of your rounds. If you're up to it?"

I smile and nod, even though my shoulders and leg ache. I selfishly want to feel altruistic for a while. We shake hands and I follow him.

"So what happened to your leg?" He asks casually.

I'm taken aback. "Uhh- An orc fell on me."

How dare he ask something so...

"You're kidding?" He spins to make eye contact. A smile twitches at his mouth.

"Don't laugh at me!"

I'm starting to hate this boy and it's only been a few seconds.

"Laughing at tragedy is the only way to stay happy. Fell on by an orc.. Never heard that one." He smiles at me and keeps going. "If you open up your pain to those in pain it shows them a way out. Scars make us real." He pulls his hair to one side and I see burns on the back of his neck. "That one looks kind of like a horse." My mouth turns up subconsciously. "See? Better than a sob story."