Destiny

"Well, well, well..." the blonde sneered, "look who wimped his way into the strong house! I'll bet they'll kick you out before the end of the year. They can't have a loser like you break their reputation, now can they?"

The scrawny boy kicked at the two overweight boys holding him down, "please, just let me go. I didn't ask for it, I swear!"

But the blonde was unrelenting, "Who did you get to enchant the hat, huh? My father could get them thrown in Azkaban!" With this, the scrawny boy burst into tears.

"N-n-nobody! I swear! Draco, pleeeeeease!" He moved to wipe at his nose, but his arms were still held down by Draco's lackeys.

Draco, having not stopped talking in the first place, continued, "Not only my father, but I personally plan on kicking your arse, Neville. You know what my aunt Bella did to your parents, no? Just imagine what I can do to you!" At this, Draco laughed, "but you know what's even better? You keep trying to defend yourself. Grow a pair would you?" Draco threw a punch at Neville's gut, and because the scrawny boy was still held down, the blow hit hard.

Neville started bawling, "I DIDN'T DO IT, I SWEAR. I SWEAR!" At this, faint footsteps were heard, growing louder and louder. "I DIDN'T DO IT!"

"MISTER MALFOY! MISTERS CRABBE AND GOYLE! WHAT THE EVERLOVING HELL DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING TO MISTER LONGBOTTOM!"

Draco, Crabbe, and Goyle all backed up, away from Neville, in fear. Nobody in Hogwarts was more menacing than Professor McGonagall. Neville, still bawling on the floor, didn't notice her presence.

"THAT WILL BE FIFTY POINTS FROM SLYTHERIN FOR EACH OF YOU! NOW SCURRY ALONG AND GET TO CLASS, AND PROFESSOR SNAPE WILL HEAR ABOUT THIS!"

The Slytherins walked as fast as they could without running to Herbology, their next class, and McGonagall knelt beside Neville. In a more soothing tone, she spoke to him, "Mister Longbottom, as soon as you compose yourself and visit the hospital wing for any injuries, I'd like to speak with you in my office. Don't be afraid, its nothing bad, I just have something you should like to see." She helped him up and brushed him off, "Now, hurry along then. I'm sure you have class to get to also." She walked away, leaving him alone in the middle of the corridor.

Neville, in efforts to compose himself, remembered something his grandmother used to say to him all of the time. She obviously thought it inspiring, but he hadn't appreciated it very much until that moment. With a shaky breath, he said it aloud, "When the going gets tough, the tough gets going." He repeated it at least ten times before he started walking towards the hospital wing, breathing hard because he was almost positive Draco had broken at least one of his ribs. He was still saying it when he entered, and Madame Pomfrey looked at him quite curiously before asking him what was the matter. He mumbled something about breaking a rib and bruising himself and she busied herself with creating a potion for him. In a few moments, she handed it to him and allowed him to leave. He checked the clock, which told him that class would be ending in less than a half hour, and he made the executive decision to go straight to McGonagall instead of class.

Neville knocked on the door. "Professor?"

There was the sound of heels clicking against the stone floor and the door swung open. McGonagall stood inside the portal and waved him inside.

She still had said nothing, so he tried again. "Professor?"

She walked behind her desk, opening a drawer and emptying the contents before pulling out the false bottom. She gingerly pulled out a small brown chest.

"Neville, would you happen to know what this is?"

He shook his head, a resounding "no."

She harrumphed and muttered something about his grandmother being useless and set it down.

"I know the sorting ceremony was just days ago. I also know you doubt your ability and don't want to be in Gryffindor. But I promise, my house is for you."

Neville looked at her, surprised. How could she promise something so absurd?!

Seeing his expression, she continued, "Before you were born, you were in a prophecy. I only tell you this because of your parents. They aren't here for you and I need you to believe in yourself."

Neville still looked dumbfounded, but managed to softly say, "When the going gets tough, the tough gets going."

She looked at him, almost proud, and opened the box. An orb, about the size of a hand, rested inside. "Do you know what this is?"

He shook his head again.

She laughed, "Well, I guess you're about to find out."