Chapter 12: The Trip

If there's one thing Aika hates the most, it's being called boring. All her life, she's been the weird kid, the wallflower, the one who doesn't stand out. Even her family thinks that she's weird for being an introvert. Kasalanan ba niyang mas gusto niyang nasa loob ng bahay lang siya?

That's why she chose to live alone, so she won't have to comform to what they want. And then, this jerk comes along... How dare he say that she's boring? She's not boring. Madalas lang na walang makaintindi sa kanya dahil iba ang trip niya sa buhay. She'd rather write than party. She'd rather stay at home and watch TV than go out on dates. But it doesn't mean that she's boring! Sa opinyon niya, napakainteresante niyang tao. Give her the right person to talk to and she will unleash the potentials of the universe on them.

"So... are you boring or not?" tanong ni Mickey nang hindi siya kumibo.

Paasik niyang kinuha ang bag mula sa kamay nito bilang sagot at nilamnan ng mga damit na dadalhin. She checked her phone and grunted when she saw that it only has 30% left of its battery.

"I didn't charge my phone!" angil niya rito.

He took it from her hand and threw it on the bed. "Don't worry. You're not going to bring it."

"What?!" Hindi siya lumalabas ng bahay na hindi dala ang phone niya. She'd be lost without it.

"And don't bring any gadget. You have no use for them."

"What?!" And what does he expect her to do when she gets bored, talk to him?

"Wala rin namang kuryente do'n. Wala ring reception. Magiging pabigat lang 'yang mga 'yan sa 'yo."

"At kung gusto kong kumuha ng picture?"

"We won't take pictures. We'll take memories. Use your eyes to capture moments and store them here," sabi nito, sabay tapik sa sintido.

Mickey left her alone so she could pack in peace (how considerate of him). He told her that they'll be gone for two days. Two days without her phone? She'll probably die. What he said earlier actually made sense. Pero pakiramdam niyang masakit din ang balik nito sa kanya. She probably won't be able to walk for a week.

Wala siyang exercise. Kahit stretching, hindi niya ginagawa. Tapos biglang hiking? Good luck naman sa kanya. Noon ngang nag-hike sila nina Fresia, isang buong araw siyang nakahiga na parang bato, hindi makabangon sa sobrang sakit ng katawan.

After packing a few clothes, tinawagan niya ang ina para magpaalam at ihabilin si Elmo. Agad naman itong pumayag, pero halata sa boses ang pagtataka.

"Are you sure you're really going on a hike?" paninigurado nito.

"Yes, ma."

"Who are you going with?"

Kinagat niya ang labi. Hindi pa kilala ng mga kamag-anak niya sina Mickey. Her brothers would surely flip if they learned that she's going on an unknown mountain with some guy.

"A friend," sagot niya sa ina.

"Who? Sina Fresia? Don't they have work?"

"No, Ma. Ibang friend."

"You have other friends?"

She rolled her eyes. "Grabe ka, Mama, ha. Of course, I have other friends!"

Tumawa ito. "Baka naman kasi fictional character 'yan, Anak."

"Totoong tao po."

"Sa'n mo na-meet? Facebook?"

She sighed exasperatedly. It's always like this with them. Akala yata sa online world lang umiikot ang mundo niya. Hindi naman palagi. Madalas lang. Sobrang dalas.