Chapter Two

T H E R U N I N

➖➖➖➖

G A B R I E L

"Gabby, I want you to meet some of our friends." Jacky said, grabbing onto my arm tightly. She had been practically dragging me around the backyard, introducing me to different people since I had arrived. I mentally groaned on the inside. It was early October and it was already cold. Living up north had its advantages, but the cold weather was not one of them, perhaps a disadvantage.

"Jacky, I don't really think that's a good idea. Don't you think I've met enough people for today? People I'll probably never see or talk to again."

"Oh hush," She kept walking towards two men, whose face I could barely see because of the sun beaming down on my face. Being part Korean, with Korean eyes didn't help my case very much. "DC, you already know my best friend here. Bryson, I'm not sure if you know her but this is my best friend Gabriel." My eyes met his face and I internally groaned. I did not expect to see this man's face again, at least not today. He smirked while he gauged my facial expression. Jacky looked at me with a bright smile causing me to quickly plaster a smile upon my face.

"Nice to meet you Bryson." I said sticking my hand out for him to shake while he looked at me confused. Now it was my turn to smirk.

"Likewise, Gabriel." He responded, catching onto my drift. He took my hand and kissed the back of it. My cheeks begin to feel warm and I immediately knew I was blushing. Bryson had an amused look on his face and I immediately snatched my hand from his grip.

"I uh, uh. I-I will be right back Jacky." I quickly dismissed myself from the small circle.

"Is everything okay love?"

"I'm okay Jacky. I'm just thirsty." I picked up my pace, not giving anybody much time to say anything in response. Once I reached the house, I stepped into the house and walked towards the kitchen. I opened up the cooler and grabbed a cold bottle of water. When I turned around, I nearly jumped out of my skin when I seen Bryson standing there.

"What are you doing in here?" I asked, infuriated. I had no idea why I was getting upset. Maybe it was because of the smirk that seems to never disappear off of his face or maybe it was because he just scared me half to death.

"I came to check on you. You just kind of rushed away. I wanted to make sure you were okay."

"Well I'm fine. Also I would really appreciate if you don't mention to anyone that we know each other. You can leave now." I said, dismissing him. He smiled at me causing me to become even more annoyed than before.

"Sure. If you have lunch or dinner with me." I watched as he stared at me, waiting for an answer and I stared right back; more-so I stared back because I was looking at the structure of his face. Anyone could tell that this was one handsome specimen God created, but I would never tell him that. He already had a really big ego, and I didn't want to amp it up even more. Every bone in my body wanted to jump and scream, Yes, I will have dinner with you, but I kept my composure.

"Mr. Til-"

"Please, call me Bryson." He said, quickly cutting me off.

"Okay Bryson. I still feel the same way I did the other day about having lunch or dinner with you. Your daughter is about to be my patient. I rather not start my job off wrong."

"With all do respect Gabriel, it is not unprofessional under any circumstances. My daughter is not your patient at the moment."

"Why are you so adamant on getting me to have dinner with you?" It wasn't very hard to tell that Bryson was indeed a persistent man. Anyone could be able to simply read him by his chiseled features. He appeared hard, but yet he seemed soft.