NERO

He guessed that Lei had never given much thought to death. She had never cared about the ways it could come to her, the things it might do to her, the places it might take her to or the pain it might cause her.

He guessed that even if she had given it a thought- she would never have been able to estimate how much it hurt to burn.

He had burnt before. Hundreds of years back, yet he still remembered the pain. Looking at her now, he could not fathom how she would bear it when it came to her.

Right now she stood before the Bo tree- ready to burn it with the flaming torch she held in her hand. He knew that if it was Lei who was giving the fire- the tree would surely burn, after all she held The Bo Tree's Guardian's mark- His mark.

'Sorrow,' his voice was a silent hiss as he sat perched upon one of the branches of the Bo tree, 'The spirits must not know of this.'

A faceless frame glided towards him, it appeared, then disappeared then glowed blue and disappeared again- 'She,' a voice came from an opening in the formless body, 'she betrayed ussss Nero,' he hissed.

'They are all the same,' he replied, looking down at Lei, who stood near the Bo tree with a flambeau in her hand- along with other villagers, 'They are all manipulative, scared nobodies.'

'The old man fooled her,' Another formless body, that glowed yellow in intervals placed itself beside him, 'What will happen to the spiritssss Nero?'

'Do not worry Vengeance ,' Nero told the formless body, 'I will keep our home safe.'

'Lei,' Vengeance said, looking down at the men who were performing a procession around the Bo tree, 'I thought you liked usss.'

'We do not have time for this!' He said with tremendous authority, 'The spirits will vanish if the tree burns!'

'What will you do Nero?' the blue spirit placed a formless hand upon his firm arm.

'The girl must die,' Nero said, 'She has betrayed us Sorrow.'

'Will you be able to do it Nero?' Sorrow asked, 'You have looked after her for so long.'

'I have also looked after this tree and its spirits,' Nero said with resolve, 'I shall merely send her to the Ether World. It will be a good death.'

'Can I not do it Nero?' the yellow sprit asked with some exuberance, 'I know it will be hard for you.'

'Only I must do it,' Nero said, 'She is my ward. My mark will not let you harm her.'

'And to think that she was the only human you ever marked!' Vengeance glowed brightly- it was angry now, and vengeful.

'Poor Lei,' Sorrow said, drooping and melting, 'Poor us.'