Why

I awake in the same position I had fallen asleep in. My hand is still tightly interlocked with Grays. Last night I cried so much my throat hurts and even if I wanted to I think I'd be impossible for more tears to come out of my eyes.

"Excuse me, ma'am? I can take an order for breakfast or lunch if you'd like." A polite nurse asks after knocking on the door. I must looking horrific but at this point they must be used to seeing lots of distressed loved ones.

"Um, I'll order lunch but is there a menu I can look over?" I inquire since most hospitals have a list of foods you can order and they will bring them up at lunch time to the room.

The nurse brings me a menu and I shuffle the playlist on my phone to listen to while I read over it. A clear tin song pops up that makes my eyes water at just the very first few words of it. I decided to play it on the tv in the room for Gray.

One of the workers yesterday did say talking to Gray might help since there's a chance he might be able to hear me. Wouldn't singing have the same effect? Maybe he'll remember the night we sang on stage together.

*Play the song above. If you can I highly suggest to stop reading this and read the subtitles at the bottom of the song. The song is beautiful on its own but means so much more when you read what they are singing.*

My voice cracks as I try to control my tears while singing to him. The lyrics are exactly how I feel about him, but he'll never know.

*A week time skip*

"You need to go home and get some rest. It's what Gray would want." Lucy says as my eyes try to close fully once again but I crack them back open.

"N-No. I-I can't. He could wake up." I counter, sniffling and wrapping my light sweater around me tighter.

"Look at yourself! It's 25 Celsius in here and you've got goosebumps all over! Your body can't take another night without sleep! If you get any more sick they will kick you out of the hospital anyways!" Lucy raises her voice slightly to get her point across. I flash my eyes towards Gray, still unmoved from the bed, tubes sticking out of everywhere. The bruises he had are slowly healing and fading to a yellowish color.

"Just for tonight." I point my finger harshly at her and she nods. She offers to talk home with me and I know that even if I said no she would. I'm in barely any condition to even walk, let alone all the way home by myself. "If he wakes up promise you'll come get me right away."

"I promise." She replies and I stick out my pinky finger. I reach out and link mine through hers and squeeze.

You know how everyone's house has a distinct smell? Well anyone who's gone away on vacation for a week or so and comes back can smell their distinct house smell for a few breathes before they return to normal and it just smells like plain air.

My house apparently smells like Hand Sanitizer, which is odd since I have absolutely no hand sanitizer in my house. On my kitchen counter there is a  plate of food wrapped up with a yellow sticky note on it reading:

Hey, it's Natsu!
I made you some food to eat for breakfast tomorrow! If you don't like it give it back to me cause I'll eat it!

Ah, Natsu. I chuckle at his nice effort. I've had to eat nothing but tasteless hospital food for the past week and it's sucked. Literally anything will be better then what I've had, but I'll be sure to save some for Natsu anyway.

The couch looks really comfortable. . . At this point even the floor does so before I even get to my room my eyes shut, sending me into a deep sleep.

*Ding*. . .

*Ding*

"Ugggggh. . . Shut up." I mutter, shifting a little and touching something extremely cold. I yelp and shoot up, eyes darting around to figure out where I am.

Then I remembered last night I never even made it to my room. The hard kitchen tile was my makeshift bed which had grown significantly cool during the night.

*Ding*

Gray! I open my phone and see a message from Lucy.

"You might want to come here." Is all it says. Before I have time to register what that could possible mean in my head I sprint to the hospital, almost getting hit by a car on the way there. Once I arrive Lucy is standing in front of the rooms closed door.

"What happened?! Is he awake?!" I exclaim, vigorously sucking in breathes to deliver more oxygen to my needy muscles. Lucy peers up through her eye lashes with tears forming in them. "No. . ."

"I-I'm sorry. He didn't make it." Lucy softly says. She walks over to me and wraps her arms around my shoulders. I continue to stand in the same spot, to shocked to move. I don't feel anything at all. My mind refuses to accept the fact Gray is gone.

He sacrificed his life for me. I can never repay that to him. I never got to tell him how I felt. . . The door suddenly swings open, revealing two nurses rolling a covered body out of the hospital room. They both give me a sympathetic look while I furrow my eyebrows.

"I-I don't understand." I say, eyes completely dry and heart feeling no emotion at all.

"I know it may take you a while for reality to set in." Lucy says, face still resting in my shoulder.

"It's not him." I say, pushing her off me and following the two nurses wheeling away a body. "Let me see him! I want to see him!"

"I'm sorry ma'am you'll have to wait until we bring the body to the morgue." One nurse in ugly throw up color scrubs explains.

"Fine, lets go then!" I huff, taking off in front of them even though I haven't the slightest idea where the morgue is. Once we get down to where it is I turn around and cross my arms, blocking the way to anywhere else.

"We're here. Now show me." I demand the both the nurses exchange glances followed by sighs. The lift up the top of the blanket and fold it forward. Grays pale upper body is shown. His body is covered in a yellow tint and bloody wounds. It looks exactly like him but it can't be. . . It can't be.

"He has an X shaped scar just above his right hip. Please show me." They pull down the sheet further and the scar is right where it's always been. My lips start to shake as I shake my head furiously.

"It. . . It. . ." I desperately search for the words I'm trying to say but can't find them anywhere.

"May we go do our job now?" One of the nurses asks. Before I have a chance to answer they push past me, knocking me against the hard stone wall.

This is my reality now and I have to live with it.

Hi everyone! Sorry the chapter is kinda short I didn't know that more to add. So I hoped you enjoyed the story! I know the ending is angsty but you can change the ending in your mind if you'd like!

Just kidding! Did you seriously think I'd end it this way?! I would never do that! I'll try to write the next chapter fairly fast so you know what happens. (It's gonna be really cliche but I don't care.)

Don't forget to comment and vote!