chapter 0

Prologue: Once Upon a Time in 1982

It was a very special day for Freddy Fazbear's Pizzeria, in fact, it was probably the most important day for the restaurant, a day that would determine whether or not this family friendly eatery would sink or swim. It was opening day. Advertisements had ran in local newspapers and television stations, telling the entire county all about this new, "high-tech" take on family food. "They walk and talk!" one ad exclaimed, while others called it "The Future of Mechanical Science!" and that it would "Change family entertainment forever!"

The Fazbear Entertainment Company (LLC) had originally been known as Animatronics Limited, a company specialized in the development and manufacture of advanced mechanical automatons, but was limited by a lack of general interest in the field. If Animatronics Limited wanted to break into an entire market of robotics, they would need to get the public's attention. So, with a name change and some rebranding, the little known machine maker hoped to become a national figurehead of mechanical entertainment. But reaching national stardom would take money. A lot of money. The company decided to open an entertainment venue that would appeal the masses, then get into specifics once it became productive. After weeks of meetings, water cooler debates, and late night phone calls, the answer seemed obvious: who doesn't like pizza?

And thus, Freddy Fazbear's Pizzeria was opened in the suburbs of the city Fazbear Entertainment was headquartered, hyping their newly created "Fun-nimatronics." That first day drew a huge crowd, mostly children and the press, who came to figure what exactly a "Fun-nimatronic" really was. The date decided for the opening was a Saturday, so that children could attend, and was slated for around 12:00 noon to attract people who had to work to come on their lunch break, if not to go in, to at least get them talking. The real work happened the day before, behind closed doors and blacked out windows, as the brand-new animatronics were activated and loaded with necessary functions.

Freddy found himself being "born" to face a large room filled with long tables, a buffet-style line up to the kitchen, and a curtained-offed section off to the side. Though clearly designed for the largest of lunch rushes, the room itself was only occupied by a handful of people, some in suits, some in coveralls, and one in security officer attire. Freddy tried to turn his head to follow traces of movement in his peripheral vision, but found himself restricted. Suddenly he heard a sharp click on his head, and someone's voice saying,

"-dio sensors should be working now, let's untie him."

Freddy once again tried to turn, and was pleased to find that he could, and there he could see another one of the men in coveralls, standing back and looking at him with his arms crossed, a pleased smile on his face.

"Hello there!" the man said, "I'm Harry, what's your name?"

What was his name? Freddy wasn't sure. Something then whirred behind his eyes, and he found himself remembering.

"My name is Freddy Fazbear," he said.

"Perfect!" one of the men in suits called over, "Absolutely brilliant! I love them!"

"Harold, have the others been booted? We need to give them the lay of the land," another man in a suit, this one much older, said. Freddy liked how this one spoke.

"I think so, Mr. Fazbach," Harry replied.

"Wonderful. Please have all of them lined up on stage in, oh, 20 minutes? I wish to examine them," Mr. Fazbach said, before turning to the other men wearing suits.

"Who is that?" Freddy asked, turning to Harry.

"That's Mr. Fazbach, our boss," Harry replied, "He started this company. It's why you're Freddy Fazbear. His niece thought it was funny."