chapter 4

Chapter 4: This is Bad

Mike sat back on his couch and ran a hand through his hair. Ever since the disturbing feeling he had gotten back at the restaurant, he checked every possible lead. He called his parents, and they were fine, having gotten back safely and going to bed. He paid a quick visit to the pizzeria, and again, everything seemed normal. The animatronics were performing as usual, Foxy was camped out in Pirate's Cove, as usual. Arianna wasn't even all that mad his parents visited (but he still got an earful). So what was that?

The guard had no clue, and decided to absent-mindedly surf the web, hoping looking at a screen would tire his eyes enough to let him sleep. While clicking around, Mike thought to try the local news. Maybe something had happened. Further investigation revealed it was a slow ass news week, with the top story being the opening of some new restaurant. That served pizza. With animatronic performers. Wait, what?

Yes, it seemed Freddy Fazbear's Pizzeria might have some competition, but that was hardly a reason for that spike of dread. The worst possible thing would be the restaurant would finally close down, and that was hardly a reason to fear. Besides, that new restaurant wouldn't be open for a while, if this article was any indication. Apparently the building had just been bought, and work was progressing. Again, nothing to worry about.

Mike smacked his forehead, trying to rack his brain for any possible reason he was spooked. It took a lot to do that these days. Maybe his mother was right, and his job was finally taking a toll on him mentally. Whatever, he'd check with the animatronics tonight. Maybe they could help.

"I don't know what to tell you, Mike," Freddy said to the guard, "Far as I know, everything's pretty much the same. The manager was miffed, but she always seems that way."

Mike and Freddy were in the Dining Hall, Mike sitting at a table as Freddy arranged the chairs, like always. Bonnie and Chica were in the Kitchen doing who knew what, while Foxy could be heard singing to himself in Pirate's Cove.

"Yeah, real ray of friggin' sunshine, her," Mike agreed, "But seriously? Nothing? Not even a malfunction?"

The bear shook his head.

"Foxy's even in a much better mood after last night," Freddy added, "Perhaps this job is making you paranoid."

Mike nodded in silence.

"Something broken?" he asked, not ready to give up the goose just yet.

"No," Freddy replied.

"Something dirty?"

"No more than usual."

"Break in?"

"Wouldn't we have known?"

"Terrorist threat?"

"Now really, Michael, what even is that?" Freddy asked, "I think you're looking for a problem that does not exist."

"I guess you're right," Mike finally agreed, "I must be too used to something happening. Have you heard about that new restaurant they're building?"

Freddy shook his head.

"I don't really get out much," he said, pushing another chair closer to the table.

"Right. So, apparently, it's a pizzeria," Mike explained.

"I see. Can't complain," Freddy replied, not entirely interested.

"And it has animatronic entertainers. Like you," Mike continued.

The chair Freddy was pushing was suddenly slammed into the table.

"It has what?" Freddy asked, eyes wide.