Ten

It started with soft vibrations that tingled along your flesh. Soon the frequency intensified radically, producing a loud buzzing that penetrated your brain. The buzz grew louder, and your head throbbed with painful pressure. Then abruptly it stopped, and you were floating. It was an extraordinarily feeling. You felt lighter than air, your whole body devoid of any weight. You couldn't even feel the temperature of the room. You were nearly lost in the serenity of peace until you caught sight of a body below you. You knew it was you. It had to be you. Same color of hair, same length, and the exact identical facial features. Invisible fingers stretched carefully to touch the body slumped out on the futon. Reaching and reaching, but no contact could be made. You could get no closer. An eerie creak echoed throughout the darkness, and suddenly glowing red eyes appeared in the doorway. Had your heart ascended with you, it would have been beating rapidly. Fear quickly dominated you as the shadowy figure intently crept closer to your immobile body.

'WAKE UP! WAKE UP!'

Vocal chords absent, your mind screams desperately to rouse your body out of its coma. The creature slithers further and it halts over your sleeping self. It extended its black appendage, the silhouette resembling deadly claws.

'GET AWAY!'

The claws alighted on your leg. Slowly, the dark substance perilously spreads, enveloping your body. It wanted to consume you whole.

'STOP! WAKE UP! PLEASE WAKE UP!'

The monster looks up, staring directly at the spot of your viewing position. Red eyes narrow, gleaming viciously. White, sharp, pointed teeth grin widely, and you scream as the darkness swallows you.

*

"Okay, sweetie! We're all done!" The nurse chirps. "Hold this please."

With your thumb, you secure the cotton ball over the minuscule hole in your skin. The clinic was small, with only eleven examination rooms. The room you were occupied in reminded you of a children's daycare, what with the rainbows and smiling animals decorating the walls. A universal picture of a cat suspending from a vine was plastered on the door.

HANG IN THERE!

You glare petulantly at its motivational message.

"Um, h-how long will it take to get my results back?"

The middle aged nurse – Kotono – beamed kindly as she injected your blood sample into a vial with a purple top. "It really depends. Our lab is pretty speedy, but sometimes we get a little busy. And since you're doing a blood and urinalysis the wait time is usually five to seven days."

That was too long. You bite your bottom lip.

"I know this might be too much to ask b-but..." You said, unconsciously pressing the cotton down harder. "Is there any way I can get them back sooner? It's just...there's something wrong with me and-"

"Oh sweetie." She interrupts, sanguinity sparkling in her eyes. "You shouldn't be negative. I'm sure you're perfectly healthy-"

"Please." You implore, voice cracking with pitiable distress. "I sleep a lot, but I'm always so tired. My headaches are getting worse. I can't focus. My memory...I don't remember what happens before I go to sleep. I don't remember..."

You could no longer correlate your sleep conditions to trauma. In addition to that the same nightmare plagued you these last few nights. Each time you had tried to shake yourself awake, and pull yourself out of the terrifying illusion, but alas every attempt ended futilely. You preferred the nights where your dreams were as blank as an untouched canvas.