04|Lost In Yokai Mansion

"Hello?" I whisper curiously, poking my head around a corner. The hallway turns out empty. There's no way I imagined that, just now I'm sure I saw a small creature dash around the corner.

I straighten up, eyebrows pulled together in confusion. This house is hiding something, I just know it. I take a step back, planning to try and find my way back to the group who is also currently exploring the house, and trip over something.

"Ouch!"

My blood runs cold as the thing I've tripped over cries out irritably, and I slowly look around and down over my shoulder, to see a-

"D-d-decapitated head!" My voice comes out hoarsely as I turn and stare at the head of a young male with thick blonde hair, staring right back at me.

"O-one of Rikuo-sama's friends!" He says just as startled, staring at me.

I place a hand to my heart, feeling its erratic thumping under my blouse and sink to my knees breathing heavily. My eyes stay glued to the head as I take deep breaths, trying to calm myself. The head in turn looks extremely anxious.

"You- you're a yokai, aren't you?" I ask finally.

The head looks extremely uncomfortable and irritated, cursing someone for apparently knocking his head off, which makes absolutely no sense. But then he sighs, "Rikuo-sama isn't going to be very happy about this," he turns his attention to me, "yes, I'm a yokai. So please don't scream or freak out."

Feeling my nerves calm slightly with a newfound fascination, I tentatively reach my hands out and carefully pick up his head, holding it out in front of me so we're eye level. It's oddly light, like a soccer ball, and there's no sign of any blood that might suggest his decapitation from his body is new. That's right, shouldn't it be around here somewhere?

"Do you have a body?" I ask as I can't help but run my eyes over his golden-blonde locks, noting how it turns black towards the back of his head.

"You seem oddly calm," he asks suspiciously, amber eyes narrowed.

"Well this is my first meeting with another yokai," I admit, standing up with the head still in my hands, "what's your name?"

"Kubinashi. Are you the new girl Rikuo-sama has been talking about?"

I look at him in surprise, connecting my eyes to his, "Rikuo-san talks about me? Nope, wait. Never mind. Where is your body again?"

After a pause his rich eyes turn to the screen door behind me to my left, which is currently shut tight, "it's in there, but I think it would be a better idea if you just left me here and went back to your other friends, and forget that you ever saw me."

I blink, surprised by his sudden change of attitude, should I tell him?

"Will Rikuo-san be mad that I found out a yokai is living in his house?"

"Yes, very. So you can't tell anyone." His voice is serious, and I begin to understand just exactly what I've uncovered at the Nura house. Or at least I think I've understood a small part of it.

"Okay then, you never saw me, and I never saw you," I say firmly, placing his head back carefully onto the floorboards in an upright position, then turning around. "It was nice not meeting you Kubinashi-san."

I walk off at a trot, turning down a random hallway as my feet thump against the floorboards of the empty house, that I've just discovered may not be so empty. I just met a yokai, and now I'm going to try with all my might to befriend him. Even if it means presently abandoning him I know for a fact that I'll be back to look for him again. Maybe I can convince Rikuo to invite me back over again sometime soon?