21|Crush

The next chapter is the one you've all been waiting for ;)

I click the bones of my fingers, watching warily as I'm slowly surrounded by the plethora of yokai. Some jump up and down giddily, others glare menacingly. I really don't want to have to fight them all. The most I've ever done is one-on-one with my brother, and that was because mum wanted us to know how to use our abilities.

To my surprise, they suddenly back up, almost scrabbling to get away from me. I haven't even done anything yet, so why do they look so panicked?

Seeing the shadow form beneath me, it suddenly strikes me why.

What must be an entire floor is currently tumbling down to meet me, slow and heavy, tiny bits of glass and wall coming away from it.

I don't have time to run, so I crouch down and cover my head with my arms. Hopefully there'll be enough left of me for Hiiro to put back together again, given he knows how to reconstruct the human body. Who am I kidding? I'm going to wake up in the hospital tomorrow.

I wait for my body to splatter out across the pavement, crushed beneath the weight of a building.

"..."

"......"

"?"

"You are in so much trouble."

My head snaps up so fast I lose balance, and fall onto my rear, eyes wide and staring up at my brother hunch over me. His arms are holding up a section of the debris, with wires and piping sticking out of it. This heroic feet is made even more incredible by the fact his arms currently resemble that of a bears, with coarse brown hair and the sharp claws to go with it.

I feel a lump form in my throat and throw myself around his waist, almost causing him to lose balance.

"Woah! Do you want me to drop this thing?"

I don't reply, but merely bury myself further into his soaked shirt.

He sighs, and with a groan manages to throw the concrete to the side, it breaking into smaller pieces on impact with the ground.

Then he does something uncharacteristic, and wraps his arms around me for a hug. I'm guessing all the smaller yokai have dispersed because of my brother showing up, and am beyond grateful for it. I don't want to fight anymore.

"Can you walk?" He asks me gently, resting his chin on my head.

I shake my head into his chest childishly. I don't want to move right now. I've never had to face something so life threatening like that before, even when I was captured by those rat yokai along with Yura and Kana, I wasn't as scared. I wasn't allowed to be scared, I had two friends I needed to protect.

But this time, I was alone.

Hiiro shifts his weight, and suddenly lifts me up into his arms. I don't retort, but allow him to treat me like his little sister. I begin to shake, only just realizing how completely soaked and cold I am. He must be cold too, he's only wearing a T-shirt and shorts. He must have left the house the moment he noticed I was gone.

He begins to walk back down the empty streets to our home.

"Torii-san!! Are you better?! You're better, right?"

"Kiyotsugu-kun?! Everyone!"

I follow quietly along behind the group as we all file into Torii's hospital room, here to wish her a speedy recovery.