Chapter 1

Chapter 1

I pulled the cold leather jacket over my miniature wings, careful not to bend or injure my fragile feathers. I tucked in the white tufts of wings that stuck out and made sure I felt comfortable in what I was wearing. No human would ever notice. Only a very skeptical person could see the small details through the coat, etch out the fine lines that peered through.

I sighed and pulled back a strand of my jet black hair, taking in deep breathes. I was unknown to everyone.

Before I could walk out of my room, a force jerked me onto my bed as I struggled with a certain conscious in my soul; my demon.

'Stop It!' I mentally scolded my demon. Every Winged had to learn how to control their dark side, and only a few went haywire. Those ones had to be put down. I am lucky to have such a strong blood and family. Keeping demons under control isn't too hard for me or my family.

'What for it, bitch!' she yelled. I gasped at her rude language. Only once had she said something like that, and I'm not going into full detail on that one.

'Shut your mouth.... What's your name?' I had never actually asked her that before.

'Karra. Now shut your.......' That I will not explain. After a little, talk with Karra, I finally settled her down in the fuzz of my mind and walked downstairs for breakfast. My mom had eggs and bacon sitting on the table, ready to fill up my empty pit.

"Thanks Ma," I said, picking up bacon that wasn't there. I turned to find my twin brother Davis eating the food right off the platter. He had a devilish grin smacked on his face, angering me even more.

'Shall we?' Karra said to me.

'I can't believe I'm saying this, but yes.' I let the smallest bit of my demon run lose as I threw a fake punch at Davis, startling him enough to drop the saucer. I spun around and grabbed the food, taking a seat at the table and munching on my breakfast.

I looked over at Davis's star-struck face as he gaped at my mother, than back at me.

"How come she gets all the practice?" he asked grimly, pulling out a box of Cheerios.

"Just eat your breakfast," my mom scolded him and cleaned up the mess we made. "School is in twenty minutes."

Davis pretended to flick a fake speck of dust off his shoulder, making sure his black, denim coat was perfect. He sure did look like a stuck-up drama queen sometimes.

'I agree,' Karra stated. Who knew how cooperative demons could be?

I sighed and pulled on my combat boots, making sure the buckles were tight, and ran outside with my book bag to the bus stop. As soon as I turned the corner, the bus was slowly pulling away.

"Great, now I'm gonna be late for school!" I groaned, turning back around. Davis just ran off opposite of me, obviously looking crazy.

"Where are you going!?!" I yelled, trying to get his attention. When he didn't respond, I just ran after him. He ended up in the middle of a woods, concealed from the human eye. He checked once, then twice, before taking off his jacket.

"What are you doing?" I whispered.

"Flying," he said in a well-duh tone. I watched as he spread his grey wings in full length and got in ready position.

"You can't possibly... Wait!" Before I could stop him, he was flying sky high towards our school. Just great.

'You know the drill, stupid.' Karra was right. I mentally scolded myself, then threw off my jacket, carefully tying it to my ankle. My pure white wings expanded behind me. For a Winged, white wings were actually very rare. But I didn't care at that moment.

I squatted low, taking in a deep breath, then pushed up with all my strength to the sky, spiraling with the wind in my face. It had been so long since I had flown. The feeling erupted over me as I followed Davis's ash feathers.

I swiftly ducked and crashed into a tree, careful not to ruin my wings. I reluctantly scrunched up my wings, unknotting my jacket and bringing it over my feathers.

Once I hopped out of the tree, I raced across the parking lot, running towards my high-school. The kids were already lined up outside, scrambling in one by one.

"Almost there," I said, rubbing at top speed. I made it just in time before the last people came into the doors. I heaved a sigh and went to my locker, making sure I had everything.

A voice behind me startled me as I dropped all my books.

"So sorry!"said a familiar boy. I turned to find Tucker West bending down to get my books. Tucker had big blue eyes and dirty blonde hair framing his face. He was a shy kind of person, and had once asked me on a date. I was in too shock to say yes. But I may still have a little crush on him. Maybe.

"It's ok," I said, brushing back my hair and picking up my textbooks. "You better to class."

"I uh..." He looked like he didn't know what to say. "See ya in class." With that he took off.

"Awkward," said Lindsay, my BFF, who was watching from afar on us.

"Lindsay!" I yelped, hitting her with my book.

"Ow much! Geez, get some humor."

"Sorry, I just don't like people scaring me...."

"We'll of course not, my little fragile angel! Now come on!" I cringed at the word angel. I had almost thought she had guessed what I was.

"We'll, lets get goin' grandma!" At that I knew she was just kidding and raced with her to class. I hated every subject and, trust me, you do not want me to go into full detail on my classes. Every one would go by like this-

I sat at my seat. I looked under my desk, gum as usually. Mrs. Marley stood up and cleared her throat towards the boys playing spitball. She wrote math equations on the board. We copied and answered.

Now that isn't interesting, is it? Back to the story:

I walked into the cafeteria, full as always, but I knew Lindsay would be saving me a spot. The line for food was very short today, and just my luck because today was chili day, and don't think that was a good thing.

Our school's chili was made up of goat, milk, and shoved in beef cooked over a pot. It was pure filth. I sighed and held in my gag, taking a water bottle and apple before taking my tray beside Lindsay.

"What you got?" Lindsay said with a mouthful, so it sounded more like Vhat yohu gout?

"Chili." She shuddered and gave me a pat on the shoulder.

"That's too bad. Here, have a chip." I gratefully took it and shoved it in my mouth, too hungry to think. I gulped it down and finished what little of my lunch I could eat, then threw everything away and headed to my-ugh- afternoon classes.

(After School)

I walked into my house and unlocked the door, swinging it open to find my mother balling on the floor. I ran over to comfort her, and shushed her mournful sobs.

"What's wrong?" I asked her after a few moments.

"They-they know," my mom sputtered out, continuing to cry.

"Who? How? What do they know?"

"The, the people, our wings. Someone knows about, about us."Right then I knew what she meant.

Someone knew of about our wings.

Hey oh! Like it so far? Sorry it wasn't interesting, but thus was sort of an introduction before all the crazy stuff happens. Bye bye! (Updated soon)