Chapter 3

As the morning greeted me, I rubbed my fuzzy eyes to the sunlight. It was so intense I had to cover my face and groan if I didn't want to become blind.

My wings spread out beside me in an unusual shape, bent and twisted at a weird angle. I quickly shook my body, turning the wings so they were positioned correctly. I then tucked them in, walking out of bed to start my day.

Davis had already left the house early, leaving for some debate club at the school office. I lazily slumped in my clothes down the stairs, eating a cliff bar and almond milk. The house reeked of a sickly sweet odor, filling my stuffy nostrils.

Ever since the incident yesterday, my mother had been collecting any loose feathers around the house, or possibly masking any birdie scents along the way. Davis, me, and even the demon Karra agreed it was strange, but would make since of we didn't want the police on our tail.

I was going to run late for school if I didn't finish my half eaten granola bar, the edges and nibbled slightly off. After my mental battle with Karra, I won over control to not skip school and raced to the bus stop, reaching it just in time.

My breathe came out in a sigh as I managed to reach the bus before it could drive off, leaving an unattended rider. I smiled up at Lindsay as I approached her at the back of the vehicle.

"Come, Cadence, join the Dark Side!" Lindsay said, mimicking Darth Vader. Karra was so convinced at Lindsay's tone she almost took and control to say, "Together, we shall rule the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I took a seat on the tattered booth by her, taking the window seat. The familiar image of what I called prison came into view as me and Lindsay faced another fateful day.

"Good luck commander," Lindsay said, saluting and marching off to the other side of the building, backpack slung across her shoulder. I just rolled my eyes and saluted back.

The day continued on its way, nothing of the interesting sort to happen. The popular girls like Amanda and Sally would laugh at me, which was a pretty stupid thing to do considering there wasn't much to laugh about me.

I'm not conceited, but I'm not ugly. I may not be perfect and pretty like them, but at least I had humanity. They were just a bunch of stupid dogs. I think you know what I mean.

My lunch was sloppy and disgusting, but I managed to eat a portion of my salad and an apple, which would hopefully satisfy my appetite.

Midway through my meal, an interruption ceased over me as a cold hand gripped at my jacket. I yelped in pain, their hands crushing my feathers. An object was slipped in my pocket before the mystery person left, and as I turned, nothing but regular teens walked by. Huh.

I took another bite of my apple before slowly slipping my hand into my back pocket, my fingers fumbling with the content. My hand gripped tightly on it as I pulled a slip of paper from my pocket which read;

Meet me in Harver Park @ 11:30 sharp. No excuses.

The letter was handwritten in black ink, no signature included. Putting it back in my pocket, my mind was left to think on who this mystery person was and what they wanted with me.

The bell to end lunch rang as I threw my disgusting meal away, ready to end the day as fast as possible. It did happen surprisingly slow.

I raced home after the day had ended and ran into my room, throwing down my book bag and logging onto Facebook. Lindsay was online, so I clicked on our messages and typed;

CaddyCat: You'll never believe what happened at school. During lunch, some mysterious guy came up and handed me this weird note.

LindsaythyGreat: Really? Can you send it to me?