Chapter 7

Disclaimer: I don't own Divergent

Tris's pov

I can't believe he lied to me. I can't believe they lied to me. As soon as I get into the car I head towards Christina's house, surely she must know how to comfort me.

I thought I could trust them. I thought i could trust him.

He's supposed to be my best friend. Friends arent supposed to lie to eachother, Tobias never lied to me before, at least i dont think. What if our whole friendship had been a lie? from the beginning, when we were both still young, did he only play and talk to me because his other friends told him to? like i was a second choice? no, I was his only friend back then, and he was my only friend.

"Tris!" Christina says as she opens the door. "are you okay?"

I shake my head.

"Come inside, we'll talk"

-

When I told her the story, she looked like she heard it before, and her eyes, they had pity in them, and I was almost mad that she would pity me.

"You knew didn't you?" I asked her. I can't believe everything going on now, people who I considered my best friends, people I love so much, they're keeping stuff from me. Everyone knew this except me.

Her eyes travelled everywhere but me, then she looked down, and slowly nodded. "I'm so sorry Tris"

I got up, I couldn't take this anymore, I left without saying goodbye and headed home, that is, afterall, the only place I could go.

-

I cried for hours once I got home, I cried until I felt like there was nothing left of me. Stop crying Tris, stop being such a coward, this is life. a voice inside me head tells me.

I don't know how I'll ever be able to forgive them, we promised not to lie to eachother.

-

Tobias's pov

I still picked up the rings, but I wasn't in the mood to even be happy to see it. It was simple, just a silver ring, with '4+6' engraved perfectly into the inside, but it was beautiful. just like her.

The car ride back to my house was quiet and tense, I'm pretty sure they think I'll burst at any second if one of them makes a noise. I won't, I'm not strong enough, but instead, I feel like if any of them says anything, I'll break.

I mutterd a quick "thank you" when I left the car.

-

I fiddled with one of the rings on my bed. This was obviously supposed to be Tris's, it was way smaller than the other one.

I can't even imagine what she's thinking right now. She probably thinks i was lying to her about our whole relationship, from best friends, to this. She probably thinks i didn't even really want to hang out with her, she probably thinks I pity her. I don't.

She would've been so happy to recieve this, she didn't want anything of course, for she insisted she already had everything she ever needed, but she always looked so happy to get gifts from me, like it was more special than the presents her parents got her, even when we were little, i got her a bird when we were 7, I later found out she didn't like birds, but she was still happy, she let the bird go free on a camping trip. Other years later, i got to learn more things about her, and I got her bracelets, flowers, anything, i would give her anything, to make her happy. So if that means avoiding her because she dosen't want to see me, i'll do it, to make her happy, even if that means it'll hurt me even more. it will break me, I know it will, but i'll do it, i'll try, just to make her happy.

-