Chapter 11

He has a horrified look on his face. "There's a woman in the bathroom." He shakes his head. "She's carving dad's name on the wall!"

My heart starts beating. "Mrs. Doherty"

He shakes his head real slowly. "I don't know who it is. Let's get dad, quick! He can see for himself."

The two of us ran downstairs fast. When we got down there we were surprised how fast the guys painted. There were about 15 to 20 professional painters outside. If they kept that up nonstop they could be down by sundown.

We spotted dad by the car jotting down some notes. "Dad! Dad" We yelled. He rolled his eyes before speaking. "What now?"

"There's someone in the bathroom!"  I said.

Dad looked over his shoulder as if to not make eye contact with us. "Go tell your mother." He said in a low voice.

Troy pulled my arm and we started yelling mom's name. She wasn't outside so we called for her when we got inside of the house. "Mom! Mom!" We yelled.

No response. We looked in her bedroom, in her bathroom, in the laundry room, in the kitchen. We looked everywhere, except for that very bathroom that woman was in. Troy shrugged. "Where could she be?" I heard the worry in his voice. 

That's when we heard crying coming from the very bathroom across the hallway. The one where Troy saw the woman.

We could hear something scraping the wall. We also heard the sounds of a woman crying. The cries were low with hard sniffs in between each cry. Troy and I walked slowly towards it. Not because we were curious about who was in there. No. It was because those cries belonged to our mother.

Both of us peeked inside. Troy pushed the door open himself when he saw our mother sitting in the bathtub while Mrs. Doherty stood on the toilet, her body bent down towards her knees while her hair gracefully hung down. Mom was terrified. She couldn't stop shaking either. 

Mrs. Doherty was carving our dad's name into the wall with a kitchen knife. My mom sat and watched in horror. Troy was about to make a move when all of a sudden the door slammed in front of us. We quickly tried to open it back but both of us were burned by the doorknob. It turned black for a quick second before turning into ashes. 

Our mother screamed from behind the door. We heard her crying and screaming our names. That's when I heard a sound I would never forget until this day. I heard my mom yelling what are you doing over and over again and to get off of my leg. Through our screams and crying, we heard a disgusting crunch followed by a faint moan coming from mom. 

I couldn't take it anymore. I ran for dad while Troy stayed behind. Dad was already coming inside of the house when I grabbed him and pulled him towards the bathroom. When he saw us crying he knew something was serious. He asked what happened and Troy told him that mom is stuck in the bathroom and that she was screaming.

Dad broke down the door. I heard Troy gasp when he saw her. I gasped when I saw her too. She was standing in the door holding her stomach. It was mom. That's what it looked like to my dad, however, I saw what she was covering. Troy saw it too. The only reason mom held her stomach was because blood escaped from her it. Dad didn't notice.

She kissed my dad, still holding her stomach. Then she looked at us. "I don't know what's wrong with these damn kids but I'd like to take a shit in private sometimes." She said before walking away.

Troy and I looked at each other with our mouths open. We both knew that wasn't our mom. Our mom was being possessed by Mrs. Doherty...