3rd Night

When Maya arrived in the living room that night, Josh already had a glass of water.

'' What? I got thirsty before you came.'' He said.

She rolled her eyes and sat next to him. They were silent for a few seconds. Then, Maya started talking.

'' Josh, would you consider us friends?''

'' We're more complicated than that, don't you think?''

'' Yeah, but, as far as friends go, would you?''

''Well, yeah, I'd like to think of you as my friend. Why?''

'' Friends trust each other, right?'' she said ignoring him. '' When you have a friend, you're supposed to try to know and trust them.''

'' You're totally right. What's the matter, Maya?''

'' Josh, why did you never tell me you had asthma?''

She'd caught him off guard. He'd known he'd have to tell her eventually, but he hadn't prepared for it to be tonight. But he looked at her, and saw her pained, worried eyes, and had to tell her.

'' I take it you've learned it today. What do you know?''

'' Nothing, I just heard glimpses of a conversation, just enough to piece together the fact that you're sick.''

''Technically, I'm not sick.''

She gestured for him to continue.

'' Do you know what happened the day I was born?''

She nodded her head no.

'' They were complications during my birth, and I had a respiratory infection. I stayed in the hospital for three days. That's when I got my middle name, Gabriel. It means he who God protects. Are you okay, you're not saying anything.''

'' I don't want to stop you. I'm afraid that if I talk, you'll change your mind.''

'' No, I want to tell you. You were right, friends talk to each other.''

She smiled softly.

'' So we go home, and I live my life, without a care in the world. You know how little kids run around all the time. Well, I was pretty calm until I started school. One day, we were playing tag, and at some point, I started having trouble breathing. I didn't know what to do, the more I tried to breathe, the more I coughed. Luckily, the teacher in charge of us saw me and brought me to the nurse. She gave me an inhaler. Once I was able to breathe again, they called my parents. Things were told, appointments were made and the doctor diagnosed me with exercise-induced asthma. I was very mad. I couldn't run too much so I couldn't play with the other kids. I was always left out. Back then it was a real pain. ''

'' What about now?'' asked Maya.

'' I live with it. I was never much of an athlete anyway. And when I do have to exercise, I always have my inhaler with me.'' He said with a shrug.

'' So you don't do sports at all?''

'' Nothing cardio. I did, however, do some kickboxing in high school. Nothing too intense, just learned how to throw a few kicks and punches. You never know when it might come in handy.'' He added, knowing precisely that she liked ''bad guys''.

'' So as long as you don't make too much effort, you'll be fine, right? You're not gonna suddenly stop breathing, are you?'' she asked, worried.

'' Of course not.'' he chuckled. '' Here, let me prove it. Come here.''

She looked at him quizzically, but still shifted toward him.

'' Don't worry. When I have trouble breathing, if you have a stethoscope, you can hear it. But since we don't...''

'' Oh, Okay, I get it.''

She leaned her head on his chest, careful to put both hands on each side of him. Josh started breathing deeply, in and out, suddenly very aware of her presence near him. He could even smell her hair, which had a sweet scent. Maya listened, trying to catch irregularities, but didn't hear anything wrong. But then...

'' Your heart is beating faster than it's supposed to. Is that normal?''

'' I think that's what happens when I'm around you, Maya.'' He admitted.

''Oh.'' She simply said, now aware of her own increased heartbeat.

They were very still like they were afraid the slightest movement would destroy everything

''Maya?''

''Mmh?''

''Would it be okay if I held you?'' asked Josh, wary.

''Would it be okay if I held you back?''

He wrapped his arms around her, pulling her closer to him, and she did the same.

'' Maya?''

'' Yes Josh?''

'' Thank you for caring about me.''

'' Always.''

And it just felt right.

* Sorry for the extreme cheesiness of this, I couldn't help it! *