Mother Nature's Fury

I awoke once more to unbelievably frigid temperatures. I couldn't help but shiver rather uncontrollably, as my body desperately attempted to keep me from becoming a human fish stick. The wind hadn't let up and there was still a thick white sheet outside. This blizzard needed to let up soon or I could very well die in here. The fire embers were still glowing. I opened the tiny metal door to the stove, the rusted and weather metal releasing an ear piecing shriek. I gently blew on the smoldering embers and the fire almost instantly flared up a bit, my face meeting an intense but good feeling blast of heat.

I checked my watch. It was only 2:45. I still had a while before sunrise. There was no point in trying to fall back asleep. First time maybe, second time, hell no I'm awake for real. I curled up in the recliner in front of the stove and pulled my heavy leather and fur jacket off and used it as a blanket. My body continued to shake uncontrollably from the cold air, which according to my watch, was now -18 degrees. I laid there, staring blankly into the inky blackness while the wind continued to howl hauntingly outside. The blizzard was obviously not letting up anytime soon. I needed to go back and get my gun. I was left with two options: Stay in the cabin and wait for the storm to pass, or brace the frigid, lethally cold temperatures and get my rifle back. From memory I estimated that the gun, along with my bag were maybe 15 to 20 yards away from the cabin. The lantern may be able to keep me a little warm but the fiercely blowing wind and snow would make it easy for me to get lost.

I weighed my options for a good 15 minutes before deciding. The bag and gun were top priority. I HAD to get them. My jacket should help to keep me somewhat warm and the lantern should help prevent me from getting lost. I put my jacket on and picked up the lantern, turning the knob a few times until the kerosene finally lit. I touched the door knob. It was absolutely freezing. I closed my eyes. 'Can I really do this? Nikolai what in the hell are you thinking, dumbass?' Contradictory thoughts and doubts filled my head as I stood there with my hand on the door knob. On the other side of this door was a frigid hell, a frozen wasteland. But I had to get my gun if I wanted to survive. It took everything I had to open that door. Every bone in my body told me not to but somehow I managed to open the door and push my self into the roaring blizzard and into the mercy of Mother Nature.