The Aurora, Pt. 1

Painkillers where pretty strong. Barely felt anything, but whether or not that was actually due to the painkillers or the fact that my fingers were basically dead was beyond me. But then again, I shouldn't be complaining. Could've been a hell of a lot worse. Once I cleaned the stumps once more with Antiseptic and wrapped my hand, I cleaned off the hatchet and gazed around the chilly (but much warmer) concrete bunker I had taken refuge in. It was functional. Not a practical place to live in, but it would serve its purpose until I was able to reposition myself and find my way back to the cabin.

The wind outside began to pick up around noon, progressively getting stronger and stronger as the minutes ticked by. I decided to climb back up top and have a look around the area before the weather got worse. The old, rusted metal rungs clanged and creaked under my weight as I ascended back into the the wilderness. A very light snowfall had begun, the occasional flake or two or three or seven flitting by in the wind. The thickly packed snow shifted and crunched under my feet as I walked around, surveying the surrounding forest.

I still had no damn clue where I was. I assumed I was still in Mystery Lake. The Railroad line near the hunting lodge was too far and I sure as hell didn't go through the marsh. So I was either still in Mystery Lake or somehow made it to the highway that ran along the coast. I continued walking around for a bit when I paused, looking down at the white snow. Prints. Kneeling down and examining the tracks, I could tell by the size that it wasn't a bear...but wolves. As if on que, and as a warning that they were there, a haunting and awfully close howl broke through the quiet wood. I stood there, frozen in place, listening intently for more howls. All I could hear was the now quiet and steady blow of the wind, crows and the occasional woodpecker. Then it was as if every sound stopped completely. No wind, no wolves, no birds, nothing. It was totally, deafeningly, and terrifyingly quiet.

A bright flash of red across the snow caught my attention. I turned to the sky, and sure enough, there before me was the same brilliant display of Cosmic warfare. Beautiful sashes of green and blue twisted across the night sky, giving the dark an eerie but gorgeous green glow. I couldn't help but stand there and marvel at the Aurora, as violent of a thing it may be. What I didn't notice, was the sound the Aurora was making. A low zapping noise, like a Tesla Coil sending arcs of electricity through the air.

Once I'd had my fill of the Aurora, I rose and turned to head back in the direction of the bunker, and straight into the path of a lunging wolf.