Back on Track

The following morning was calm and quiet. No snow fall and only the occasional gust of wind. The air was clear and crisp. It would've been gorgeous had it not been for the fact that it was trying to kill me. I should reach the dam by noon if I didn't stop for anything, maybe sooner if I took the shortcut along the River Access. Outside the Camp Office, I saw the first deer in days.  A large buck, at least 15 points. He immediately snapped his gaze in my direction before turning and sprinting off into the forest. The distant, ghostly echo of wolves howling sent a shiver down my spine.

I took a sip from one of the many bottles of water I had stashed in my bag as I trekked along the railway line. This railroad bisected Great Bear, cutting straight through miles of pure, untamed wilderness. Industry had made multiple attempts to pierce this quiet island; Each failed. Whether it was the Carter Hydroelectric Dam shutting down due to the quakes a few years back, the logging company being driven out by these radical eco-terrorists called "Forest Talkers" or the Whaling industry succumbing to government intervention regarding the hunting of whales. Each time, industry had failed. Great Bear largely remained a sort of cut off from the mainland. Mystery Lake was a popular vacation spot during the summer months and had great game during the winter, which was why I was up here in the first place.

I'd been walking for a while along the tracks until a few railway cars came into view. Large red ones, fallen on their sides and piled around the track.  Then I saw the bear. Two tons of savage, primal fury lumbered around the derailment, sniffing the various piles of debris, likely for food. My legs turned to solid stone, rooting me to my spot. A loud pounding began to echo in my head as my heart rose into my throat. But the bear had no idea I was there.

Shakily kneeling down, I reached around for the rifle. My heart was pounding against my chest as I brought the firearm up to my shoulder. The bear was in my sight, idly wandering around the railroad cars. The pounding in my head had become close to deafening at this point. Letting out a breath, I brought my finger to the trigger and squeezed.

Judging from the shriek and the growing red spot on the snow, I knew I'd hit the beast. But I didn't bring him down. The bear turned and locked eyes with me, rearing up on its hind legs and roaring in fury. Soon, it was barreling towards me, a savage mass of muscle and power. Adrenaline was surging through my veins at this point, my fingers fumbling around to shove another bullet into the rifle chamber. I threw the bolt forward and blindly squeezed the trigger. The kick rammed the stock into my stomach, the world surging up as I ended up in the snow. The bear shrieked in pain again, and through blurred vision I watched it disappear into the trees.