The hug and after

Sorry you guys had to wait so long for my new update I have been really busy but I'm gonna finish this story today so yippie!!

Adrien was shocked, totally and utterly shocked. Here he was, breaking down in front of Marinette, and instead of acting uncomfortable or distant she'd hugged him, actually hugged him. Her head was nestled against his chest, wrapping her arms around his waist. For a fraction of a second he froze, completely unsure of what to do, and then his body acted of its own accord, returning her embrace and resting his forehead on her shoulder, shielding his watery eyes from her view.

He had been hugged by friends before, and by his mother, before she left, even by Ladybug, but somehow Marinette's hug wrapped him in a warmth he had never felt before. He could feel his body lean into hers, and her arms pulling him in tighter, urging him closer. He felt a sob form inside of his chest, struggling to break free, and tears yearning to flow from his eyes.

He dug his fingers gingerly into her back, clasping her to him. He worried, distantly, that letting go of her would cause him to break into pieces. That he'd shatter, broken from the weight of all the loneliness he bore. His body trembled, tilting on the edge of a knife, unsure of whether to completely let go or hold himself together for a few moments longer.

"It's okay," she whispered, rubbing his back lightly. "It's going to be okay."

At last, he let out a sob, giving into his trembling and felt Marinette stiffen for a moment, before continuing to rub his back. He could tell she was confused, hell, anyone would be in her situation.

He could feel his worries and anxieties pounding against his skull. His fear over losing his friends to his father and homeschool, his fear of Ladybug leaving him, the way his mother had, his unrelenting terror of the Miraculous he wore vanishing and taking Plagg and his only freedom with it. These larger worries coupled with smaller anxieties like modeling, school, and projects had coiled tightly around his heart and mind. It was a wonder he hadn't broken down before now.

"I'm sorry," he muttered into her shoulder. "I didn't mean to come here and be like this. I'm really sorry you have to see this. I'm sorry I-."

"Adrien," she interrupted soothingly, "It's okay."

He nodded into her shirt and began to regulate his breathing. For a few moments, everything was silent and still except for the sound of their breathing. It was just Adrien and Marinette, simple as could be.

Slowly, with great regret, he pulled away and stepped out of her hug. The moment they broke contact, he could feel coldness penetrate him again. Her face seemed to hold the same amount of sadness he felt, her eyes slightly watery and her cheeks flushed.

"I'm such a mess right now," he said lowly, providing her with the simplest answer possible. "I've been having a lot of doubts with my modeling, and honestly I haven't enjoyed it in a long time. Sometimes, I feel like the only reason I've stuck with it for so long is to make my dad happy." He looked down at her sad and compassionate expression before shaking his head slightly. "Sorry," he continued slightly embarrassed, "I don't know why I'm telling you this."

Marinette slowly raised her hand up and pressed it against his damp cheek. "You can tell me whatever you want," she said quietly. "I'd be honored to listen. And I promise that if you ever want to talk, I'm here, ready."

She moved her hand from his face and stretched it out to him. "Friends?" she asked.

Finally, Adrien truly smiled for the first time that day. It was only the slightest turn at the corners of his mouth, but his eyes began to clear and he grasped her hand firmly in his.

"Friends."

After Adrien left, Marinette lay on her bed, ignoring the gathering darkness and clutched her phone. Her urge to call Alya was slowly subsiding. As much as she wanted to talk to her about Adrien, their meeting was intense and personal in a way that you couldn't share with anyone, not even your best friend. He had seemed so vulnerable, so lost, she couldn't stop herself, she had to help him.