Chapter 2

First to step out of the office is Beckett herself. The large heels on her black boots make her seem taller than she really is. Immediately, she notices everybody staring. She gives them all an awkward smile. Glancing around the bullpen she spots Ryan. As bright as ever. This puts her at ease. Then her eyes land on Esposito, but his expression worries her. There's a lot of anger there. It doesn't look as though the death glare he's giving is meant for her. In fact, it looks as though it's meant for the new detective.

Ryan notices Kate's expression. So, he follows her line of sight over to his partner. The red tinge to his cheeks is no longer embarrassment. It rather worringly looks like rage. Grinding his teeth, he continues to stare at the new detective. This guy isn't new to Espo. This is the same man who was quite rude to him in the elevator not so long ago!

"This is Detective Andrew Sherman. He's just transferred from another homicide unit out of state. I trust you'll all make him feel welcome and show him why the NYPD is the most efficient police force there is" Beckett informs them all with an encouraging nod.

Many of the detectives nod at Sherman, as way of a greeting, before continuing with their work.

Captain Beckett makes her way over to her favourite detectives. Detective Sherman follows. Before Beckett can reach their desks, she's clocked by Ryan and he stands up. Once he's moved around to the front of his desk he notices his partner remains rigid. Eyes fixated on the new detective.

"Javi" Ryan whispers "Get over here"

Somehow Esposito finds the inner strength to come to stand beside his partner, but go no further.

"Detective Sherman, I'd like you to meet Detectives Esposito and Ryan" Beckett announces with a smile.

Ryan, sensing the awkwardness, offers his hand to Sherman. The detective gratefully accepts his gesture. The two shake hands firmly.

"Welcome to the NYPD Detective Sherman" Kevin says with his usual amount of kindness.

"Thank you. Detective Ryan, right?" Sherman asks with his eyes focused entirely on Kev "Have you been here long?"

This sends a jealous wave through Javier. As if he didn't dislike the guy enough already! Now the man can't take his eyes of his partner. Espo is well aware of how good looking his partner is and he certainly doesn't need this particular man checking him out.

"Detective Ryan is one of our best. You could learn a lot from him" Kate chimes in and winks at Ryan.

Beckett looks at him like a proud mother would do her son. Kev is definitely the baby of the team. Although, there's only about a year between them. It's just his pure essence and personality. The blue eyed man oozes cuteness and innocence. However, she knows that it's a very bad idea to get on the wrong side of him. All the cuteness aside, he can be a very determined (some would argue stubborn) detective. Kevin takes a lot of things to heart. An admirable quality of couse. It is also a downfall as he can get too involved. If something happens on his watch then he acts like it's all on him until it's fixed, which, no surprise, isn't a very healthy way of handling things.

"I'm sure he will. Maybe I could teach him a couple things too" Sherman answers winking at Detective Ryan.

Beckett's smile falters. Now she knows she doesn't like the way Sherman is behaving around her friend. So, she most certainly knows Espo won't like it. Kate is aware of her Hispanic friend's feelings for his best friend. If questioned he'd probably deny it until he's blue in the face, but it's obvious.

Kevin awkwardly smiles back at the flirtatious Sherman. It's clear the comment has made him uncomfortable. The captain doesn't know for certain if Ryan reciprocates his partners feelings for him. In fact, she's not even sure if he swings that way. If inclined to divulge his sexuality, it is unlikely Kevin would tell his boss. In their little NYPD family, Kevin has always been a daddy's boy. Rick Castle and Kevin Ryan get along like a house on fire. They're on a similar wavelength. The two of them constantly discuss crazy theories. A small part of her is jealous at how close they are, but she knows she has Esposito. She's close with him like Kevin is to Rick.