Chapter Nine

As soon as they entered the guildhall, Levy and Gajeel were ambushed by their guild mates.

“Levy!” Jet and Droy cried, crushing her spine with a group hug. “We're so glad you're alright!”

“Where have you been?” “What happened?” “Are you alright?” Were the questions that everyone seemed to be shouting at them all at once. Before she or Gajeel could answer and of them, Master Makarov spoke, quieting everyone instantly. “Where have you two been? How did Gajeel get injuries like that?”

“H-he was attacked by the same person as Wendy,” Levy told him, causing several of her guild mates to gasp or curse in outrage.

“What? Why didn't you come straight to me when this happened?” The master was angry, as she had expected him to be. She couldn't help but shake in fear as he stared at her and Gajeel, waiting for an explanation. If there was one person she hated to be on the bad side of, it was Master Makarov.

“It wasn't that big of a deal,” Gajeel answered for her, his tone cool as usual. I don't anything ever fazes him. “After we got away, Levy bandaged me up and I stayed at her place.” His words made her cringe, knowing she was in even more trouble—not to mention the embarrassment she felt as everyone's wide eyes locked onto her.

“WHAT?!” The entire guild was shocked, obviously hearing the last thing they had expected. Levy noticed that a few of her guild mates—Lucy, Erza, Mirajane, and Lily, in particular—looked excited by this news.

“I think it's safe to assume that this person knows where all of the dragon slayers live. Wendy was on her way to Fairy Hills when she was attacked, and Gajeel was also on his way home when he was attacked. I thought it'd be safest for him to stay with me last night because he was injured.” Levy could feel her cheeks turn pink as she spoke, but she didn't care. Although it was something she had reasoned out on the spot as she explained herself, it actually made a lot of sense.

“If that's the case, then all of the dragon slayers will have to re-locate for a while. It would be safer to stay in small groups, seeing as how two of you have been attacked already,” Erza said, looking to the Master for his approval—which he gave with a small nod.

“I'll stay with Lucy!” Natsu shouted, putting his arm around Lucy's shoulders and pulling her close to him. “Aye!” Happy chimed in. “We're there all the time anyways.”

“Stay with us, Laxus!” Freed said, tugging on Laxus's coat sleeve. “Bixlow and I will kill anyone who gets near you!”

“Tch, whatever,” Laxus said, sounding bored. “If that guy even thinks about attacking me, it'll be the last thing he ever does anyway.”

“Then I guess Lily and I will stay with the shrimp,” Gajeel sighed. Levy blushed when Jet and Droy complained loudly about Gajeel being alone in her apartment. They were quickly silenced by one of Gajeel's more menacing glares.

“Master,” Erza said, the authority in her tone catching everyone's attention, “I'm afraid I have to agree with Jet and Droy on this matter. The rules clearly state that--”

“I know the rules,” Master said, calmly, “but this is an extreme circumstance. Besides, I know that you will also be nearby, so there is nothing to worry about.”

“Fine,” Erza sighed, “I'll allow it only if he agrees to follow strict rules while inside the building. I will write them myself.”

“Why should I--” Gajeel began to argue, but Master cut him off with a look. “Whatever,” he growled, annoyed by all of the trouble. Levy couldn't blame him. He had been through a lot in the last couple of days, and it seemed as though things wouldn't get any easier.