Act I, Scene 7

SETTING: It is May 9, 2014 in Los Angeles, USA. We are in the auditorium of the reality show Sing USA. ELLY DENNIN and another contestant stand next to one another, awaiting a decision.

HOST

Judges, let's hear your final comments.

JUDGE 1

Both of you are stars. No doubt about it. But only one singer can win. I just don't know. This is like having to make a choice between "phenomenal" and "spectacular."

JUDGE 2

Thousands of people entered this competition and here the two of you stand in the final four. You have every reason to be proud and know that you represent the best. Tonight might be the end of your time in the competition but it is definitely not the end of your career.

ILENE DOLAN – JUDGE 3

Everything becomes more difficult at this point in the competition - the assignments, the execution, the ultimate decision. I see four exceptional performers on stage and it's so disappointing to see one leave. But tonight, it's Elly who goes home. Glenn, you are safe. Elly, you astonished us all last week with "My Song" but you came up a bit short this week. Stand proud, young lady. You are extremely talented and have a bright future ahead.

HOST

Any parting words for the millions of viewers who absolutely adore you?

ELLY DENNIN

It's been a privilege to be a part of this competition. Thank you, everyone.

(The Sing USA theme song plays as the show ends.)

JEFF FELDMAN

Are you okay?

ELLY DENNIN

Yeah. I came further than I ever imagined. I'm disappointed, but I'm ready to go home.

ILENE DOLAN – JUDGE 3

Come with us. We have to go over a few things with you. It won't take long.

JEFF FELDMAN

We have a flight ready for you at noon tomorrow. With good weather you should be back on the east coast by 6 o'clock tomorrow night. A limousine will pick you up at the airport and drive you directly home. As you know, the final show is two weeks from tonight and we always have all twelve contestants return a week before to rehearse some group songs. Understand everything so far?

ELLY DENNIN

Yes. When do I return next week?

JEFF FELDMAN

The others will return next Saturday. You will return this coming Tuesday.

ELLY DENNIN

Why? What's wrong? Do I need extra work?

JEFF FELDMAN

I want you to get some rest and spend some time with your mother. Forget about the contest for a few days. Stay home and reacquaint yourself with a normal life. Go to the shore and read a book. Just be back here on Tuesday. We'll take care of everything else.

ELLY DENNIN

I'm confused. What's going on?

ILENE DOLAN

Darling, you were phenomenal last week. Twitter, Facebook, the entire country has been focused on "My Song." More importantly, the entire industry is in love with you.

ELLY DENNIN

I'm still confused.

JEFF FELDMAN

You certainly know how we shelter you here and try to keep you away from the distractions of Los Angeles. You should also know that you and that song are genuine celebrities. Thanks to you, ten times as many people know who Tollie Maxwell is than did twenty years ago. You know some of the story from the web. I know the rest of the story from what I've seen and heard for the past week. The song is crying out to be a hit. When you come back on Tuesday, you're going into the studio to make a single of "My Song." We'll release it the day after the contest winner is chosen. It's not what we normally do and would never consider such a thing for anyone still in the competition, but...you're no longer in the competition.

ELLY DENNIN

Well, I'm not so confused anymore. But shouldn't I stay here and get right to work?

ILENE DOLAN – JUDGE 3

No. Go home and relax. Don't even think about us until you get back on that plane Tuesday. You're going to be extremely busy when you return next week and sometimes pressed beyond where you think your limits lie. Listen to Jeffrey. You can always count on him to act in your best interests. Don't breathe a word about the single. This stays among the three of us. Okay?

ELLY DENNIN

It's okay. I can keep a secret.

(ELLY DENNIN sings "Water" by PJ Harvey.)