Act I, Scene 8

SETTING: It is May 10, 2014 and the stage is split, set up with the auditorium of Sing USA on one side, and Tony Sherwood's apartment on the other. JEFF FELDMAN telephones TONY SHERWOOD.

JEFF FELDMAN

Is this the one and only Tony Sherwood?

TONY SHERWOOD

Jeff Feldman! I had a feeling you might call.

JEFF FELDMAN

You knew it was me? You knew I would call? You need to explain yourself, Mr. Sherwood.

TONY SHERWOOD

My younger associates follow your show. You're also one of the five remaining people in this business who don't despise me.

JEFF FELDMAN

Don't be so hard on yourself, Tony. I'll bet there are at least eight or nine.

TONY SHERWOOD

Well, thank you so much. But you probably know that none of us have any link to that song. We sold everything to that filthy bastard, Larry Harmon.

JEFF FELDMAN

Yes. I'm well aware of your transaction with Larry. But I have an idea that I hope you, Michael, and Dallas might consider. The young lady who sang Mr. Harmon's song is a star waiting to catch fire. She was eliminated from the competition last night, but we have an option.

TONY SHERWOOD

How do we fit in? I'm not too sure about the three of us wanting to work together again.

JEFF FELDMAN

We have a special feature called "Judges' Choice." The three judges will select the best performance of the season from the contestants who have been eliminated. That contestant will do the song again on the final night of the show right before we decide the winner.

TONY SHERWOOD

How do you know the judges will select her?

JEFF FELDMAN

Leave that to me.

TONY SHERWOOD

And what do you have in mind for the three of us?

JEFF FELDMAN

She needs a recognized backup band. I was hoping the three of you might reunite for the final night of the show.

TONY SHERWOOD

Look. Michael is easy enough. I'd give it a shot too. But Dallas - we haven't been in contact for years.

JEFF FELDMAN

Leave that to me too. I'll get back to you. Take it easy, Tony.

TONY SHERWOOD

Thanks Jeff. I'll talk to you soon.

(Standing behind his couch, which faces away from the audience, Tony looks out his apartment window. Unseen by the audience, Dallas Fleming suddenly rises from reclining on the couch.)