Over the Love

Athena had become increasingly colder with him. They’d been together for around a year and five months, and he knew by then that something had gone wrong. Somewhere down the line, something had gotten messed up, and now she was closing herself off to him.

He didn’t understand how or why.

Or what.

What had gone wrong? What had happened? What caused her to be upset with him, to turn their rather almost blissful relationship into something miserable?

He couldn’t understand it. He didn’t know what she was thinking or why she had suddenly became like ice to him. All he’d wanted was to make her happy, to show her how much he’d cared for her. He wanted her to see how much he’d come to love her. And yes, he was very sure he was in love with her, even now despite her chilly exterior to him.

The insults came with the new year, and at first he’d been surprised at the start of them. Taken aback, he could only stare dumbly in shock at her when it first happened. And then she’d said another insult to that. He uneasily covered up his reaction with a silly laugh and a sheepish grin, apologizing for whatever it was and then quietly trying to fix whatever problem she’d had with him at the time.

It was something that only grew, instead of going away.

He didn’t want to admit it, but…he felt miserable in this relationship. He was in love with her, no doubt. But each day passed, and the more and more they became farther away from the days where they were happy with each other, and a time where they’d had a high school rapport and then a summer bliss.

He’d been patient, something he knew had been almost beyond him when he was younger. He’d matured after the war, but though he grew patience and matured from his days as a demigod teen fighting against Titans and monsters, he was still a person. He could still hurt and he could still feel.

College felt tiring, dealing with it at the same time. He was trying to juggle the stress from the workload and pressure of college, and the stress of dealing with Athena and her moods and just trying to please her and doing all he could to bring them back to happier times

Percy closed his eyes and leaned his head against the kitchen counter, hands clenching. He heard the door open and he straightened up immediately, grabbing his plate and sitting at the table, playing it cool and trying to pretend he’d been there and look like nothing was wrong. When she entered, he glanced up briefly and smiled slightly at her. She huffed and turned away, so he turned back to his plate, hiding his dejectedness.

He sat at the table at night as usual, quietly pushing around his food. He could practically see her roll her eyes as she snorted.

You know, you should actually try to make yourself useful or do something other than waste your time away," she scowled at him.

He just looked up and gave her a tired smile, obvious circles under his eyes.

What do you want me to do?

How was your day? Not too bad, I hope. Wanna eat dinner with me?”