Part 1

It had been such a long time. It had been so long since I had seen the village, there was a cool breeze but the air was warm, even with my eyes closed I knew that I was home. I walked through the gate and saw that the village hadn't really changed, maybe in structure but not the ambience. There was always a good nature in this village, something that really brought people together. After so many hardships this village was more than just a group of people; they were a family.

I felt warm, looking at the smiles, and hearing the laughter, but it felt distant like I was seeing someone feeling the emotions, like being in third person. I sighed, and proceeded on. I had to report to the Hokage, I shouldn't really have been walking so nonchalantly around the village, I needed to turn my report in. I must finish my mission, and then I maybe can go and rest at the hot springs. I looked around, no one paid any attention to me, so with a slight bend in my knee I hopped onto the rooftops and made my way to the Hokage's office.

....."Yes Lady Hokage. I will return tomorrow morning for my new mission, as you request. Do you know if I will be away for as long this time?"

She shook her head. "I do not know as of yet, but I should have some more information for you in the morning. Please report to your respective leader this afternoon as you will need debriefing with the ANBU." I bowed my head respectfully and left. I had hoped that I could avoid the ANBU until tomorrow, but it seemed that I was out of luck.

I had just turned the corner, my arms raised in a stretch, getting to that lovely part of the stretch, where you could feel all the muscles tense and then relax when I came to an abrupt stop. So sudden that I staggered backwards, blinking in confusion, I looked up, catching a flash of silver hair, and a rather surprised black eye looking back at me.

"Oh, hello." He gave me what I thought was a smile, though I couldn't have been sure as most of his face was hidden under a mask. He seemed to be looking intensely at me, trying to suss me out, however, I couldn't for the life of me understand why.

"Sorry, I didn't see you there." I was so sure I recognised him, but I had been away from the village for so long that I couldn't place him. It made me feel awkward. "Erm.. I have been away on a mission for a fair while, I'm sorry but your name has completely left my mind." This time it was this silver-haired man, that seemed awkward. I couldn't understand why. Unless... I did know him.

"Kakashi Hatake, at your service" He recovered quickly. "I have to say that I haven't seen you around in a few years. In fact, it's quite a shock to see you. We thought you had... " He paused, looked like he was in thought. "Well, we thought you would have been back sooner than now." He gave me a small smile. "Its (FN, LN) isn't it?"

I nodded in response. I felt briefly ashamed. This was someone that obviously knew me, yet I just couldn't gather my thoughts or feelings enough to grasp as to work it all out. "Forgive me Kakashi,  I am extremely tired, and I feel very disorientated being back."

Kakashi nodded. Seemingly to have regained himself and looked uninterested. "Well. See you later then." I shook off the feeling like I had been shut down, and walked away. I readjusted the sleeve of my top and walked off to find the ANBU.

I had replaced my mask back on my face, I felt very naked without it, I was surprised that I hadn't been reprimanded for having it off when I saw Lady Hokage. However, I knew I would have been if I had walked into Headquarters with it off. Heaven forbid I do that.

"(FN), its about time" I whirled around. Tenzo. "I heard that you had been spotted unmasked in the village, I doubt that will go down well." I grimaced from underneath my mask. Damn! I had been found out.

"I doubt anyone would have remembered me Tenzo, besides I haven't taken this mask off for five years, after that amount of time, I feel like I'm suffocating. Give me a break!" Now that wasn't necessarily true, but it would only cause more grief if I explained otherwise.