Part 2 - Kakashi

If only he could get this over and done with quickly, then he could spend the rest of his afternoon reading his book uninterrupted. Hopefully, this would only take a little while. Still, he wasn't going to rush anywhere, a leisurely stroll might find him taking longer but he didn't want to be running around on a day like this. He wasn't Gai.

Kakashi had already seen Gai running around the village at top speed, at least three times on his way to the Hokage's building, with shouts left behind mentioning "fountain of youth, and being stronger than his greatest rival." It inevitably meant Kakashi rolled his eyes at the constant overbearing energy of the man. Still, he couldn't argue at the commitment that Gai had. He didn't think anyone could. Determined to the core, but always there for a friend in need.

So wrapped up In his thoughts, he hadn't realised he was almost at Lady Tsunade's office. In this thoughtful reverie, he was brought back to reality by being crashed into by a (h/c) haired ninja. She was dressed in a pale (f/c) kimono jacket, with a mask tied by way of a string hanging down past the back of her neck. Kakashi steadied himself from the impact and looked down at her.

The sight he was welcomed with was completely unexpected. His thoughts stalled. He felt like he had just seen a ghost. Whatever he was thinking it couldn't have been. He managed to feign politeness, with a smile. She mumbled something about being away from a long time, her cheeks hued pink, and that she didn't know his name. Time seemed to stand still, she didn't remember him? It couldn't be the same person. She looked up at him with lost (e/c) eyes... Those eyes, it could only be her.

"Kakashi Hakate, at your service" He needed to make sure it truly was her, though by his reckoning it was just a mistake on his part. She didn't even show a hint of recognition in her features, it was as if she was there in body but not in mind. He confirmed her name and she nodded verifying his question.

He just stood there as she waffled on about being tired. His brain hadn't really processed what he was seeing, he couldn't believe his eyes. He decided that he needed to get away from the situation, to help him think. In the quickest way possible he made his getaway. He glided past her and very calmly but hastily walked down the corridor.

He was initially going to speak to Lady Tsunade about a potential information gathering mission, but his request had already been written down in his scruffy writing. He decided he would drop it into Shizune, and leave speaking to her until another time. Shizune was barely visible among the mountains of paperwork, she looked frazzled, either way Kakashi placed the scroll on her desk. She wearily looked up.

"Oh Hi, Kakashi. Is this for Lady Tsunade?" Kakashi nodded, still reeling. She frowned "Are you OK?" He tried to formulate something that resembled a sentence, though what came out wasn't exactly what you would class as decipherable language.

"Bumpedintothoughtwasdeaddoesntremember" He didn't look at her and realised he wasn't really saying it for her. Shizune burrowed her eyebrows at him for a second, trying to see if there was a puzzle she had to decode. Then a light of realisation dawned on her.

"The ANBU operative?" Kakashi just stared at her. "Yes, its very concerning, she was declared missing in action three years ago. She has her name engraved on..." She paused. "Seriously are you sure you're okay?" Kakashi shook his head, waved a hand of dismissal, and left without another word, leaving Shizune, confused and concerned for the ninja.

Kakashi raced to the memorial stone, he couldn't comprehend that she had been standing there in front of him. Could she really have survived? He traced a finger along the etched stone, there it was as clear as day. "(Full name)". He felt a cold shiver down the back of his neck, where had she been all this time? Did she even know? Was this a trick of some kind? Could she have been controlled? His thoughts spiralled with endless questions.