Part 14.

*Dan's POV*

I didn't run far away this time. I made sure I knew where I was going so I didn't get lost again. Last time it took me almost half an hour to find my way back home, while Phil and I only lived five minutes apart. 

So instead of leaving the area, I stayed close to Phil's house. I guess it was because I knew what was going to happen to Phil and I wanted to be there for him afterwards, especially because I couldn't be there now. Maybe I could check up on him later this day, but I didn't want to go home. The only thing I could do at home was worrying anyway. 

I just walked around until I stumbled across the park and hesitated whether or not to sit down on a bench. It was quite chilly outside, the sky filled with grey, heavy clouds. It was also getting a bit late and the sun was going down so I checked my phone and it was indeed later than I had initially thought. 

I slid my hands into my pockets to keep myself somewhat warm. I had left my jacket at Phil's in all the chaos, so I basically sat in the cold only wearing a hoodie and believe me – that wasn't enough to keep me warm. 

Then I walked over to one of the benches and sat down. I brought my legs up and hugged my knees to my chest and then pulled the sleeves of my hoodie over my hands, which were freezing as well.

I shivered. Partly due to the coldness and partly because it was getting pretty dark so I didn't feel really at ease, sitting alone on a bench in an abandoned park.

But it wasn't my biggest worry. That was Phil, of course. He was probably feeling horrible right now and it felt awful to know it was happening, but not being able to help or do something. I had promised not to tell anyone anything, but I also realized this couldn't go on this way. What if Phil really got hurt? I couldn't afford to lose him, not after what just happened.

So, I had to do something. Something that wouldn't hurt Phil, something that wouldn't hurt me and also something that wouldn't make me break my promise to Phil. But again, I had absolutely no idea what to do.

I sighed desperately and rested my chin on top of my knees and shut my eyes. Then I felt someone sitting down next to me and I startled, immediately sitting upright and looking at the person.

It was a woman. She looked really friendly, her hair was long, blonde and curly, and her eyes were a special kind of green, really beautiful. I think she was about 20 years old, maybe older, and she smiled sympathetically at me.

"Are you okay?" She asked me and placed her hand reassuringly on my shoulder, as a friendly gesture I guessed, but it still felt super awkward. I wasn't sure what to think of her.

"Ehm, I don't know, why?" I asked confused and she smiled at me. Who was she and why was she being so kind? I didn't even know her name, did she expect me to spit out all my problems right now? 

"I just asked because I saw you sitting here all on your own, and I got worried," She answered. "Aren't you cold?"

She glanced at my hoodie and before I could answer, she was taking off her jacket and had wrapped it around my shoulders. I immediately warmed up a bit and gave her a grateful smile.

This was weird, this woman was weird, but the good kind of weird. I liked her, I didn't think she was going to harm me and I needed some distraction so I started a conversation with her. I always had problems talking to people, but this wasn't an awkward conversation. Not at all, actually. It was really nice and open and she actually managed to make me smile. I found out her name was Lissie and she was an art student, visiting her family here in Manchester. I told Lissie some things about myself as well, and she was so kind and generous.

After an hour of talking, I remembered I had to go back to Phil's to check if he was okay. The worries immediately came rushing back and I realized I still had no idea what to do. So I randomly decided to ask Lissie. After tonight I wouldn't see her ever again anyway and I kind of trusted her, so I gave it a shot. 

"Can I ask you something?" I asked, frowning.

"Of course," She nodded. "What's on your mind?"

"Well, ehm, this might sound a bit random but what would you do, if you knew a friend of yours was in trouble and you couldn't help them because they forbid you to?"

"What do you mean exactly?" Lissie asked, raising an eyebrow.

I decided to just explain the situation, as I was obviously being too vague.

"Let's put it like this, a friend of mine isn't treated very well by his... father, and he told me everything, but he made me promise I wouldn't tell anyone else. I really want to help him, because I can see this isn't going to end up well for him. But I don't want to break that promise either," I said. "It's really hard, I just want to help him but I don't know how." 

Lissie sighed, thinking about it. "I understand it's hard, but sometimes, to help someone you have break promises. If it's something dangerous that you can't fix yourself, getting help is really important. He might be angry at you at first for not keeping your promise, but as soon as everything gets better he'll see you made the right decision and he will be grateful for that. If he's a good friend I'm sure it will be okay."

I nibbled on my bottom lip, processing the words. Lissie was right. If I really wanted to help Phil, then this was necessary. Whatever the cost would be. Phil's safety was more important than our friendship... Or relationship, maybe? I didn't know.

I decided to immediately go back to Phil and tell him I didn't really have a choice but to get help for him. I had to make him believe this couldn't continue this way.

I quickly stood up. I wanted to go back to Phil now, I couldn't waste any more time. I told Lissie I was going to help Phil and that I had to leave immediately to check up on him before handing over her jacket I was still wearing. I hoped she didn't mind me ending the conversation we had this abruptly.

Luckily Lissie was totally fine with it and she wished me luck. I smiled warm-hearted at her and then turned around, walking in the direction of Phil's house again. Running away and coming back, I did it every time. 

The way back to Phil seemed to never end. I was surrounded by the cold and darkness of the night, but it barely bothered me. I started running again, the sound of my footsteps hitting the pavement echoing through the abandoned streets. 

Panting heavily I reached Phil's house. The first thing I noticed was the front door being open, and I immediately knew something wasn't right. Who had left it open? Did someone leave? Did Phil leave? Was his dad still in the house or did he leave too?

I carefully, making sure not to make a sound in case Phil's dad was still in the house, walked to the open door and peeked around the corner. No one standing in the hall, no sounds coming from the house. I shivered.

Then I stepped inside, not closing the door so I could leave quickly if I had to. The door to the living room was open as well, but the lights were out, so I couldn't see if there was anyone inside. I presumed there wasn't because it was deathly quiet in the room and I couldn't think of a reason why anyone would sit in a pitch black room.

After that, I went upstairs. It was very dark, all lights were out and it was a bit hard to see the steps of the stairway. Suddenly a feeling of fear rushed through me, and I stopped moving. I could hear my blood pulsing in my ears and I became very aware of every sound, every tiny movement I made. I felt so vulnerable and knew something was extremely wrong.

The door to Phil's bedroom was open as well. I ran in, not caring anymore about the amount of noise I made by doing so, and froze as I saw Phil lying lifelessly on the ground with dried blood on his face. 

[A/N: Thanks for 1,5K reads! :3]

Edited: 25-2-2018