Part 18.

*Dan's POV*

Phil was awake. Phil was awake and he was alive and most importantly, he seemed fine. No brain damage or blindness or paralysis. 

As soon as the first shock and realization of this being real had passed, I tackled him in the biggest hug ever. I was crying again, he was just very confused. I wrapped my arms around his body and buried my face in his neck and just held onto him. This was unbelievable, I couldn't process it and I didn't know how, but for now, it didn't matter.

After a few minutes of me pouring my heart out on his shoulder, we pulled apart and I pushed the button next to Phil's bed to alarm the nurses. It was for emergencies and I had never pushed it before because no dangerous situations had occurred in the past month. It had been the same all the time. 

Almost immediately several people rushed in and pushed me aside when they saw Phil was awake. They asked me to leave the room so they could check if he was fully okay and run a couple of tests. Of course, I wanted to stay with him, but the doctors really didn't allow it so I reluctantly left after telling Phil I would come back soon.

I couldn't stop shaking due to the adrenaline and other emotions rushing through my body, so I decided to go to the hospital's cafeteria on the first floor and order a strong, black coffee. To avoid people staring at me I sat down in the back of the cafeteria and tried to drink my coffee without spilling it all over the small table I was sitting at.

And I waited. I finished my coffee and waited. An hour passed, people entered and left the cafeteria and I was still sitting there, waiting. Waiting for news, waiting for someone to tell me I could see Phil again. But no one came and I got impatient. Eventually, I took matters into my own hands and walked back to Phil's room. 

I paused a moment before knocking. A small "Come in" that made my heart flutter could be heard from inside so I opened the door and was greeted by a smiling Phil sitting upright in his bed.

I stepped in and closed the door behind me, before making my way to his side and wrapping my arms around him once again. I wanted this moment to last; our arms wrapped around each other, holding each other as close as we could. His warmth, his smell, how soft he felt, it was overwhelming. I just melted into his touch and forgot everything I ever worried about.

"I'm sorry," Phil mumbled.

We pulled apart and I took his hands in my own. "What are you sorry for?" I asked, frowning. He had nothing to be sorry for, so I was pretty confused.

"For not being there for you," he whispered, looking down. I gave his hand a reassuring squeeze and he looked up again.

"Phil... It's okay. You can't help it. I'm the only that should be sorry. I should have done something, I shouldn't have left you that night, I-"

I was cut off by his chapped lips on mine.

It was a sweet kiss, nothing rough. But it meant so much. It was filled with love, regret, support, passion... Basically everything. Every emotion I had been feeling over the past month at the same time and it felt perfect and seemed to last for minutes, even though it only lasted a few seconds in reality. When I looked up I saw tears burning in Phil's eyes and my heart shattered again. I forgot how much it hurt to see him cry, but on the other hand, it felt good. It reminded me we were alive and breathing, that we were real and together. Everything was going to be fine.

"It's not your fault," Phil said and smiled reassuringly.

"I love you," I blurted out. "I'm so happy you're here with me."

"Me too, Dan. Me too."

A comfortable silence fell between the two of us. But then I remembered this couldn't last forever. I had to tell Phil I broke my promise; the sooner, the better. But I had no idea how to tell him.

I opened my mouth to start speaking, but at exactly the same moment Phil started talking. "What do you think, would this bed be strong enough to hold the both of us?"

I grinned. He was such a dork, even though he had just woken up from a coma he could make stupid jokes like he always does. Phil made some space and I tried to carefully lay down next to him. Of course, I had to ruin the moment by hitting my head on the edge of the bed and I yelped, holding my head in my hands. "Ow ow, so much permanent brain damage," I whined. Phil just laughed at me.

It took a moment before the laughter had died down and we were both comfortable. Phil rested his head on my shoulder and we both closed our eyes, enjoying the moment.

I swear I could have fallen asleep like that; I hadn't felt that comfortable in a long time. But I couldn't fully enjoy it as long Phil didn't know I told the doctor about his father.

"I have to tell you something," I spoke suddenly. "Something important."

He lifted his head from my shoulder to look me in the eyes. "Let me guess... You have a girlfriend?" He asked jokingly and we both laughed.

"Yes, I do actually," I joked along with him. "Her name is Susan."

Phil pouted, pretending he was hurt by that news and I grinned at how cute and stupid he looked at the same time. Then my face turned into a serious expression again and Phil frowned.

"What is it, Dan?" He asked and I sighed, contemplating the words I was going to use.

"Well, remember that promise I made to you that I wouldn't tell anyone about your father?"

Phil nodded and I paused, before just spitting it out.

"I'm sorry Phil, but I broke that promise."

It was silent for a while. "Who did you tell?" Phil finally said and we both turned to our sides, so we could look each other in the face. I stared down though, not brave enough to look him in the eyes.

"The doctor..." I started. "I just want you to be happy, Phil. I want you to live a happy and long life. I just couldn't stand the thought of seeing you being broken and treated like that any longer because it's hurting me as well. Just remember that you deserve better and I'll be always there for you, even when times are hard." 

Phil reached out and lifted my chin so he could look into my eyes. Tears were burning in my eyes, but I managed to keep them down. I had no idea why I was being so emotional today.

Phil didn't look angry or upset at all. Instead, he just smiled at me and I felt myself smiling back, happy to see he wasn't angry with me.

"I love you," he said before our lips met another time.

[A/N: You get free so(e)cks if you got the PINOF reference

This story is almost over! The next chapter is gonna be the last one D:]

Edited: 26-2-2018