Prologue

"I'll gladly volunteer my life to these studies." He said into the microphone as he placed all his weight onto the wooden cane he was leaning on for support.

He stood so tall on the stage, in front of the whole university. The students cheered for him, they clapped and they smiled. Why were they celebrating his own voluntary suicide? Can't they see he's suffering? He's in absolute pain just standing this long. Why can't they see that? Why don't they care?

He leaned closer to the microphone, his grip still tightly onto the cane that he would fall without. He spoke up, "So here's to curing these generations. To kill cancer, to annihilating phobias, to creating chemical-based imagination." He paused, "To proving even an idiot can self-destruct brilliantly in the name of chemistry."

The crowd cheered even more.

I sighed, my emotions swirling like a wave of rage and guilt mixed. I mentally told myself I wasn't going to cry, though I had to mentally chant it a couple times to even consider it. I ran a hand through my hair, and finally managed to gather the courage to get on the stage.

Cain began to walk off as the crowd was still in an uproar. As we passed each other, he frowned at me, "The plague is in motion." He said with thick malice in his tone. I love him so much that his hatred for me stings like the acid running through his veins. "You better pray to your God that I have the morals to stop."

"My God doesn't have control of your life, Cain." I swallow hard, forcing myself to look at him, "The devil does."

He frowned, and leaned closer to me until our faces were inches apart, "Then crucify me." We held eye-contact for mere seconds. The look on his face was rock solid. It's as if the only expression he can allow is one of hatred anymore.

And then he walked away, leaving me to my thoughts of pity, and anger.

This was all my fault. If I hadn't lied, if I had just told the truth, we wouldn't be in the situation right now.

My heart dropped as I thought about what I had to do. I have to tell him the truth, and I don't even know how.