CHAPTER TEN - The Start of Friendship

"You have to go to school, Timber," said Grace. She was met with a growl from a very aggravated timber wolf.

Timber was fighting over her covers with Grace. She was trying to keep them on. Grace was trying to pull them off. Unfortunately, Grace had already had her coffee while Timber was still groggy. In the end, Grace won the tug of war and all of Timber's blankets ended up on the floor. Timber scowled at Grace and got up. She stretched and Turned and grumbled to herself as she grabbed the outfit she laid out the night before. When Grace was satisfied that Timber wouldn't go back to sleep, she left the room to let her niece change in privacy.

Prior to living with her aunt and uncle, her mom had homeschooled her. Over the last few months, Grace had taken over her education. She took her to the public library for two hours every weekday while Emily was in school and they sat at a table by a window side by side so she could walk Timber through what she didn't understand. Timber was advanced in her knowledge of history and her reading level was high for her age. Her understanding of science was gapped but acceptable, but she struggled hard to catch up in math. Grace did not want her to be behind when she started school. Timber always hated math, but with help and encouragement from Grace, who excelled in the subject, she was able to catch up to where her new classmates would be.

It was now Timber's first day of public school. She had already been enrolled in Dana Grey Elementary School and assigned a new teacher. She had been so excited the night before and she spent an hour putting all of her school supplies together and packing her backpack Grace got her in Ukiah. Now that the big day arrived, Timber wasn't even close to being ready to face it. What if no one liked her? What if she wasn't smart enough for the schoolwork? What if she got scared and Turned at school? What then?

Grace came back to Timber's room to check on her and had to help Timber get dressed because she was shaking so badly, that she couldn't even grip the buttons on her jeans. Grace had to try and talk her through keeping herself calm while at school. She was only getting ready and her eyes were blue and her hair was turning silver. After her jacket was zipped, her shoes were tied tight, and her appearance was normal, she followed Grace downstairs to find a large breakfast of sausage, ham, bacon, hash browns, and scrambled eggs with peppers and mushrooms waiting for her.

"The meat should get you through the day and keep you from Turnin'," said Grace, pushing a fully loaded plate toward her. "The first day is always the hardest. It'll get easier as time passes. I packed you a sandwich with ham, turkey, salami, and cheese for lunch. There are chips and some green grapes too. I also included money for milk. So eat your breakfast and I'll walk you to school."

"Where's Emily?"

"She's not dressed yet, but she's takin' the bus like usual. Chad will see her off. You need to learn where everythin' is so we need to get there early," said Grace.

Timber sat at the table and practically almost inhaled her breakfast. Grace's cooking was so good, it was enough to make her temporarily forget her worries. After a few extra slices of bacon, and another cup of milk, Timber and Grace were on their way to the school.

"Are you sure that I'm going to be safe?" asked Timber with uncertainty as she adjusted her black headband.

"If I didn't trust that you would be safe, I wouldn't send you," said Grace. "You might get scraped and bruised on the playground if you fall off the equipment. There are also kids you may not get along with and say unkind things but it's a safe place overall. No one will attack you at school."

Feeling more reassured, Timber picked up her pace slightly. The school was coming into view and she could already hear the sound of children playing. As they got closer, Timber felt both excited and scared stiff so Grace had to give her a little push. Although Grace had spent the last two months getting her caught up academically, Timber couldn't help but feel like she could be too far behind and she would be the dumbest one in class. She told this to Grace and she laughed sympathetically.