CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE - Battle in The In-Between

Timber could not remember how she ended up standing in a warm white mist. She stood in the same spot for a few minutes looking around in confusion, trying to make herself remember. Eventually, she gave up and began walking forward. She was surprised to feel fresh grass under her paws. Her ears heard nothing and she could smell only the grass beneath her. She looked around for anything that seemed familiar but she found nothing. She wandered in every direction looking for a road, flowing water, or anything to tell her where she was but there was nothing. There was not even a breeze to ruffle her fur. Timber sat down and tried hard to figure out how she got to this place. After several minutes, fuzzy images came into her mind. She strained her thoughts and focused on the images. The last thing she remembered was seeing Emily run down the stairs at home.

Home! Timber had to hurry and try to get back. They would be worried about her. She turned around and started running as fast as she could back the way she came. Finding nothing and believing she somehow went the wrong way she spun around and ran to the right. Still thinking she was lost she ran back again. She ran for what felt like forever before she realized she was trapped. She could not get home, nor could she Turn. She lay down and growled in between sobs of frustration and heartache. She thought about what Emily would be doing. She was probably in a panic and crying loudly. Aunt Grace and Uncle Chad would worry too and be out searching for her. All she wanted to do was go home but she had no idea where to go or how to get away from the mist.

"Timber," said a soft voice from behind her.

Timber's ears perked up. She sat up and looked around, not believing her ears until her eyes saw her mother walking toward her. Timber got to her feet and stared in disbelief. She wanted to believe her eyes but her logic told her that her mother was dead. She blinked and shook her head but she still saw her mother standing in front of her.

"It's alright, Timber," said the shimmering semi-transparent form of Elizabeth Brogan. "I'm real. Oh, Timber. How did you end up here?"

Timber ran to her mother and jumped eagerly into her waiting arms. She savored the feeling of her mother's loving embrace. She rested her head on her chest and listened to the sound of an echoed heartbeat. Elizabeth ran a hand down Timber's back gently and Timber's throat produced a sound halfway between a purr and a sob.

"My, how you've grown," Elizabeth said. "You've been doing your exercises too," she added, feeling Timber's hard muscles at her shoulders. "Good job, Baby Girl. Can you Turn for me? I want to hear your voice."

She set Timber on the grass and Timber strained as hard as she could but after a few difficult minutes and some encouragement from Elizabeth, she managed to take her human form. Timber stood in silence for several seconds while her mother's eyes filled with tears as she looked at her daughter.

"I've missed you so much, Mom!" said Timber, wrapping her arms around her neck. "Why did you have to leave me?"

"Oh Sweety, I'm so sorry," said Elizabeth. She pulled away and held Timber's shoulders. "I don't know what happened but I never really left you. Do you love me?"

"Of course I do!" said Timber.

"Then I live in your heart," said Elizabeth, and Timber smiled. "So what are you doing here?"

"I don't know where 'here' is," said Timber. "But I can't find my way out. I'm lost."

"There is no direct way out. This is the In Between," said Elizabeth. "It's also called Purgatory. This is the waiting room before Heaven or Hell."

"I'm dead?" asked Timber. Her face fell and her heart skipped a beat. She began to sweat slightly and her stomach rolled over, making her feel as though she needed to vomit. Her arms went slightly numb, and her body temperature rose higher.