The Bloodied Candies

Chapter 1- Oxenberry

I stalked my prey, watching him flit to the child with her ragdoll in her hand. She had her thumb in her mouth and tears rolling down her cheeks. But when the vampire suddenly appeared in front of her, her tears came faster, her breath stopped short. I flitted towards them and staked the vampire in the heart through his back. I watched his feral snarl turn into a shocked groan as he slumped to the ground and shattered into dust. Her name was Bailey she said, her blond fringe tumbling down to hide her crystal blue eyes. I guarded her as she walked to her home where she was enveloped by warm loving arms. It made me remember when arms like those wrapped around me. They didn't see me as I stepped back into the darkness and walked towards my safe haven.

For years Annabella and I had fought and chased down rogue vampires. But it was only one that I actually looked forward to killing. His name is Alexander Oxenberry and he was the one who killed our mother. I had a picture of him on my wall and every night before I would go to sleep, I would picture myself driving a stake through his broad chest and watching his arrogant smirk run away. Tonight I stared at his blazing red eyes with an unrecognizable fury. I wished for that moment that his life could be in my hands for me to swish around in my mouth like the Listerine that waited on my bedside table. I sighed letting my anger subside before Annabella came bursting in.

"Did you get one? What was he like? Did you know his name? Was he hot?" Annabella rushed the words out in a blur.

"Shut up!" I screamed before calming myself again. "Yeah, I got one. I don't know what he was like we didn't get the chance to hang out. He was okay-looking, I guess."

"Did you know his name?" she replied quieter.

"Derek," I answered without looking at her, shame filling my stomach.

"Mine's name was Rebecca. She said that she had a boyfriend that would kill me named Derek maybe that was him," she whispered with a sigh plopping down on my bed.

I plopped down next to her and stared at my twin. She dyed her red hair a purple black and wore brown contacts to hide her olive green eyes. Our father had called us the Bloodied Candies because our hair was like blood, but we were said to be some of the nicest kids in town. I was glad that he couldn't see how we've changed. Our faces were hardened, our once sweet eyes devoid of innocence, our once bloody hair savagely thrown about our heads. We were murderers, but we murdered for the human species that we loved. He wouldn't be proud, he'd be disgraced.

Annabella knew what I was thinking and so she dropped her gaze to my black and white floral comforter. She ran her fingers through her black hair nervously licking her lips with each stroke.

"Annabella," I whispered and watched as she slowly lifted her eyes to me. "It's time to stop hiding. It's time for us to be who we are and not pretend to be who we aren't."

Her eyes widened in shock, but she shook her head quickly trying to hurriedly knock the shock away as we were so often taught to do. She unsheathed her wooden stake and threw it on the floor.

"It's also time to get new supplies," she answered her voice stronger, wiser.

"Yes," I replied thoughtfully.

Annabella and I entered the weapons store with our wooden stakes neatly placed in their holsters. I picked out two matching daggers, a Kitana, a shotgun, three hand guns, a buttload of bullets, and some special gloves. We would have to go to Transylvania to get new stakes, but next door we got the Holy Water and Sacred Wafers.

We decided to go as soon as possible so the rogues wouldn't have much chance to kill. We weren't far, it was just a couple miles away so we got into my Jeep Liberty and drove towards the place where we became slayers. I drove into a parking spot an hour later and put my foot onto the fresh concrete. I walked into Vampire Zit with my cloak wrapped tightly around me. I grabbed ten marble stakes and ten holsters. Finally, I spotted Annabella eyeing a whip when a tall, skinny man approached her, but when I whipped out my freshly bought stake and stalked over, the man turned around and suddenly I was thrown back into my past. In front of me stood Alexander Oxenberry with eyes of gold melted over black pupils, staring at me.

"Miss Gingley, it is a pleasure to finally be able to look into your real eyes and not just the ones on a picture taped to my wall. Pardon me, my dear I'm being quite rude, but my name is..." Alexander spoke.

"Alexander Oxenberry," I whispered in shock.

He had a picture of me taped to his wall too? Did he wish death on me every night as I did with him? He seemed so polite and well-mannered that I couldn't possibly consider him to be one of those brute rogues with eyes the color of my hair.

"Ah, so you know me as I know you. You two are the Bloodied Candies," he replied plastering an elegant yet arrogant smirk to his face.

That was when it all came flying back. His arrogant smirk, my mother drained of blood, my father's tears covering a crumpled letter. It made my head hurt, it made my breath stop in my throat, and I gagged. He looked troubled, the smirk quickly disappearing but it had been enough. Enough for me to break out of the shocked spell he had put me in and I put the stake between us.

"Don't come nearer," I growled knowing that my eyes were flashing a dangerous yellow.

"As you wish, my darling. Anytime you need me, check in your pocket," he replied backing away slowly, eyes attached to mine.

When he was safely out of the store, I reached into my pocket and retrieved a small card. It was printed on in little tiny letters. "Alexander Oxenberry, 1175987653, call or text me."

Later on that night when I stared at his picture, I felt something I never felt, something I should never had felt. It was the first time I had noticed him. I noticed his sweet pure red eyes lusting for blood. His mouth was fixed in a light smile making his ears look pointed and his spiky hair fall over one of his eyes. His hair was like the feathers of a raven so dark that it was almost a shining purple.

"Oxenberry," I rolled the name around in my mouth as if it were orange juice, tasting it, savoring the flavor. It didn't taste the same as when I said his name before. What was this? This was wrong, dead wrong. I had never felt this way toward any of the rogues I had went after. "Oxenberry," it wasn't getting any easier to say it, but it was softer, not quite the bitter withered thing that usually tried to pass for a word.

"Oxenberry deserves to be dead," Annabella spat punching the picture.

"Where is this coming from?" I replied shock, for the third time, overwhelming my senses.

It was then that she noticed what I hadn't. It was then that she accepted what I wouldn't. It was then that she made the impossible become real.

"No, no way. It can't be," she stuttered pressing a hand to her stomach, and filling her face with green.

"What?! What's wrong with you?!" I screamed afraid of losing my twin.

"You... you've... I... but you... NO, NO WAY!!" she wailed, dropping to her knees with a thud.

"WHAT IS IT?!" I bellowed in her face.

"You've imprinted with him..."