The Bloodied Candies Chapter 4

Chapter 4- Hunting

A couple of days later we introduced him to the clan that we sometimes hunted with. Klint, Viktoria, Mirror, and ShadowHeart welcomed him with wary eyes and stiff hands. Every few minutes, I saw their gaze flicker first at his heart then at their stakes that clung tightly to their sides. Mirror didn't exchange too many words with him, already condemning him for being a vampire. I stuck by my father in anticipation, ready to defend him if needed. Never in my life had I thought that I would be defending a vampire or loving one.

It was only when he took Annabella and me to meet his clan that I felt his pain. I stood erect and attentive throughout the entire time. Their names were Vance and Veronika. He explained that the others, Derek and Rebecca had been killed recently. Annabella and I twitched uncomfortably realizing that we had killed their partners and would have killed them too if they had been hunting that night. We cast our eyes to the floor then as the boy vampire, Vance I believe?, realized what we had done he snarled angrily.

"Those were our friends," he sneered.

"I understand that, but do you realize that your 'friend', Derek, stooped as low as to try to feed from a child," I hissed sounding braver than I felt.

"Young blood is the sweetest in taste," he replied licking his fangs.

"But, it is still against the rules and therefore frowned upon," spoke Veronika.

"Was not Rebecca your best friend, and yet you defend these hunters?" Vance spat.

"Rules are rules," she replied bluntly, shrugging her shoulders. Her innocent indifference shocked me and made me like her immensely since I knew she must be hurting inside, but knew that her friend had deserved her death.

Vance whirled on my father, "And you!" he shouted. "You bring us here in front of these murderers?!"

"Vance, calm your skin," my father calmly stated.

Fuming, Vance stalked out of the room. The tension immediately left the room with him. When the door slammed behind him, I look crossed my fathers face that was so frightening and intimidating that my hand went to my stake. Ignoring both of the men, Viktoria turned to us with a grim smile.

"He's usually a pretty cool guy," she said softly. "Hi, I hope we be friends."

She stuck her hand out and I grasped it firmly, shaking it gently. Next she turned to Annabella who, with wide eyes, did the same. We smiled back mirroring each other with the same crooked smile. I hoped that Viktoria saw that I respected her in my eyes. Soon we were conversing as easily as if she were a hunter. We even went into dangerous territory, talking about the deaths of their friends in as much detail as was allowed.

When we left, we were proud to call Viktoria a friend. Her number was safely saved in both of our phones and feeling uptempo we hit the mall. While we were shopping we got immensely distracted absorbed in making each other laugh when a pale figure with glowing red eyes walked up to us. Only when I was tapped on the shoulder did I break from my reverie and become on full alert. I turned slowly around, my hand poised over my stake.

"I wanted to apologize about my rude behavior," said an embarrassed-looking Vance.

"Is that apology sincere?" Annabella replied coldly.

"Yes," Vance replied softly.

"Then your apology is accepted," I answered warmer than Annabella, but still coldly distant.

"Thank you," he replied, then shockingly grabbed me in a tight hug and tried to kiss my lips.

I jerked my face away from him, trying to force some distance between us. He kept trying to kiss my lips and was soon becoming agitated with my dire efforts to get him off. Annabella tried to study a way of entry without hurting me, but I shook my head at her. No way did I want her to kill this vamp; that would make us lose everything. My savior came from an unexpected source and both Vance and I were startled by it.

"If you don't get off of her right now, I'll rip your throat out and watch it burn in the sun," hissed a vampire who was staring at us.

Reluctantly, Vance pulled away from me. I scooted away from him while peering into the darkness behind him. My savior was Alexander Oxenberry! In a flash he was standing protectively in front of me jealousy and anger making his eyes a wildfire. Eventually Vance backed off claiming that it was all a misunderstanding. When he did though Oxenberry turned to me with surprisingly gentle eyes.

"Did he harm you?" he whispered, checking my neck for teeth mark and the rest of my body for bruises.

"Of course not," I huffed offended.

He kissed my forehead sending anticipating tingles down my spine. "You are adorable when you are offended."

I blushed and leaned into him, momentarily forgetting Annabella. He leant me his strength and warmth as my reserve fell and emotional fatigue took over. I hadn't loved in so long that it took time for me to build up that trust again especially with the person that I had vowed to hate. I felt like I was sinning and maybe that was what made him so irresistible. He was my forbidden fruit. I drank in his scent knowing that soon we would have to leave them behind along with the rest of them. Although I knew it was wrong, I had to say goodbye. I tilted my head up and allowed him to kiss me even more passionately than the first time we ever kissed. I whispered "goodbye" and walked out with Annabella trailing behind.

We packed our stuff and we each left notes for our father and Viktoria. I left a lengthy note to Oxenberry, promising that we would meet again someday when my job didn't make our relationship hectic and demanding that he stay away from dark alleys and be wary of hunters. We gathered our crew and got on the plane that would lead us into dangers we knew not of...