Chapter 16: Jalin's father

It was weird being locked up in a cell with Daniel. I was so used to him forcing control over me in the past that it was almost pitiful to see him struggling with his chains. My wife was raising hell in the sheriffs office, screaming over their voices so they couldn't even attempt to calm her down, and Daniel had the guts to smirk at me confidently.

"What's so funny?" I asked tiredly leaning against the wall, "You didn't have enough fun tormenting your son?"

"I just thought it was funny you're still together," Daniel explained before glaring at him, "I didn't think you'd forgive her after our special night together."

"You slept with my wife?" I asked holding back a yawn, "Is this the part where I act like I'm surprised you would stoop this low? Should I tell you my heart is in my throat?"

"Does that mean I can do it again?"

I felt pretty bad he had to try this hard to get a rise out of me. The importance of my wife disappeared into thin air the moment I met Daniel's son. I swore to myself I'd protect him from his father's death grip, even if she fought me the whole way. I wasn't going to give him the satisfaction of thinking he affected me, that only made his taunting more dubious and conniving.

"Do with her what you will. I'm not interested in sharing with someone as disgusting as you."

"Disgusting?" He asked clenching his fists, "Don't forget who you belong to."

"Honey?" My wife called entering the room, "There you are, I've been worried sick!! Where's Jalin????"

"He probably hightailed it out of town with Matthew after this psychopath shot him," I replied sinking deeper into the ground, "Don't bother chasing after them, they'll be long gone at this point."

Great now I'm stuck in a small room with my two least favorite people.

"Jalin was shot?!!!!" She asked clutching the bars tightly, "HOW COULD YOU LET THIS HAPPEN????"

"Jalin wasn't hurt, Matthew was. Not that you care about what happens to him."

"Oh thank goodness," She breathed sinking to the ground, "Don't scare me like that! What if something terrible happened?"

"Something terrible did happen. I value Matthew like my own son, which is more than I expect out of the two of you, but since you choose to ignore my feelings lets talk about a more sensitive subject," I pressed.

"What could be more important than your son?" She asked crossing her arms angrily, "I swear you've always been so immature!"

"No, what's immature is opening your legs for someone who tormented and abused me for most of my life, honey. But sure blame me for that too."

"You told him?" She asked glaring at Daniel, "I told you that was a secret between us."

"Well secrets out," I growled violently kicking the bars between us so she could see exactly how serious I was, "If I ever get out of here, I want you out of my house. The only people I give a shit about from this point on are my sons. I'm sure the sheriff won't mind granting me custody of Matthew, right Bill?"

"That's absolutely right," Sheriff Bill agreed entering the room with Brittany at his side, "I've received a thorough report from officer Anderson, and Judge Helgin. He has graciously decided to hand over custody to you. It seems Daniel's crimes will be ignored no longer."

"You're free to go," Brittany announced before unlocking the cell. "Now you can properly reunite with your sons sir. Would you like an escort to the hospital? I haven't visited them since Matthew was injured."

"They would've skipped town by now officer," I replied patting her head, "But don't worry they'll come back, I'm sure they just need some time to patch up their relationship. When they come back we'll give my sons the good news, okay?"

"Are you sure it's alright?" Brittany asked nervously biting her lip, "They seem like the reckless type when they're together."

"And if they get into trouble we'll be there to rescue them," I promised, "You'll help me watch over my boys won't you?"

"Now wait a minute-" My wife hissed before Brittany cut her off.

"Of course I will sir. Always," Brittany promised.

"You won't be able to handle my boy," Daniel chuckled, "You'll be staring into my reflection every day until you come back."

"Matthew is nothing like you," Brittany smiled, "I've seen his humanity, but you wouldn't know because you lose the person you loved most for greed."

"What are you talking about?" Daniel laughed.

"I'm talking about him," She replied pointing to me, "That's why you tried to get rid of his wife. You're in love with him."

Daniel looked struck by her words, but he wasn't going to allow anybody to wound his pride.

"What would you know pig?" He grumbled, "That attitude of yours is probably why Jalin left you so easily."

"He didn't leave me," Brittany argued, "He is repairing the wounds you inflicted on your son. So how about being honest?"

"Your wasting your breath," I intruded, "Daniel only cares for himself. That will never change."

The two of us left him kicking and screaming with Sheriff Bill to handle his outbursts, and the sunshine rejuvenated my old wounds.

"Have you eaten yet?" I asked looking to Brittany, "I know a great breakfast spot for us to go. It's all Matthew talks about."

"I know the place," She smiled, "And I'd be delighted to accompany you there."