Chapter Five.

• Chapter Five •

Ariel

"Ariel, dear, why don't you set the table for me while I get dinner ready?" Mom smiles at me from across the living room where I'm sitting with a book, all curled up and away from the world as I get lost within its pages.

"Okay, in a minute," I respond. She nods and goes back into the kitchen. I finish reading the page I'm on and place my bookmark in it, putting that world on pause as I climb back into the real world. I place it on the shelf beside me and throw the blanket off, the cold air instantly attacking my senses and making me shiver. I walk across the living room and into the kitchen, prompting a few protests from my three brothers who are playing a game on the TV. I told Steve I couldn't go into work today, which is why I'm actually home for supper. Brody and Zach haven't said much to me since the incident the other night.

"Hey! C'mon, man, you're gonna get me killed!" The three of them yell out their complaints as I walk across, and I roll my eyes at their childishness.

"Chill. You'll die anyway. I'm just speeding up the process." I laugh as Brody gasps and clutches his chest, clearly offended. Zach glares at me and shakes his head. Matti stares at me blankly, something devious glimmering in his eyes. The pillow smacks me right in the face before I can react. My mouth drops open and I stare at him in astonishment. Boisterous laughter fills the room as the three of them almost fall off the couch from laughing so hard.

While the boys lose their attention to their contagious laughter, I narrow my eyes onto my target and slowly reach down to get the pillow. Like a lioness stalking her prey, I sneak up behind Matti to return fire. He doesn't even see me through all the laughing, making this perfect timing. I throw the pillow. It smacks him right in the head and makes him tumble off the couch. Clutching my stomach, I wipe the tears from my eyes as I watch him get up. Laughter fills the living room again as Brody and Zach enjoy seeing Matti get his due.

"That's it, you're going down!"

"Ariel? Are you coming, sweetie?" Mom's voice cuts him off, making me smirk in victory. Matti narrows his eyes at me, dropping the pillow in defeat. I stick my tongue out at him and skip into the kitchen.

"So, what're we having for dinner, Mom?" I walk over to the cabinet and grab six plates.

"I made meatloaf and some mashed potatoes." She smiles over at me while she mixes the gravy. Mom and I have always been close. Growing up, she has not only been my mom, but my best friend. If I ever had any problems, she was the first I went to. We may not have always agreed on things, and I surely didn't listen as well as I should have, but we were always there for each other. And after all that I've been through, I couldn't be more grateful for her.

With a slight nod and a smile back, I begin setting the table, placing down all six plates, forks, knives, and napkins. Next, I head over to the sink and grab six cups, only filling five with water. A soft sigh escapes my lips as I place them down then take a seat at the end of the table.

"Honey, your brothers told me about what happened. Are you sure you don't want to take your medication?" She gives me a worried look, setting the gravy on the table and turning back around to get the potatoes.

"Yeah, I'm sure." I fiddle with my fingers and gaze down at the table cloth. The medicine is helpful, yes, but it makes me feel different. Mood changes, nausea, severe anxiety. It only seems to make things worse in a way that makes me feel even more weak and vulnerable than before. And I don't want to feel that way ever again.