Chapter Eight.

• Chapter Eight •

Ariel

The door rings as someone walks into the shop. I look up from my book and prepare to say the usual welcome speech but stop when I see it's just Axel walking in with his signature sour expression.

"Hey." I barely acknowledge him, then turn back to my book. The storyline is so amazing. Each chapter brings something new to the plot, keeping me excited and anticipating more. Tearing myself away is almost impossible.

"Hey." He walks around the counter and drops his bag beside mine, then walks to the back room to get changed into his apron.

The girl runs and screams in fright, falling to the ground as the wolf knocks her down.
"Please! Don't hurt me!" She cries. The wolf bares its teeth at her then—

"C'mon, Ariel." My head jerks up at the mention of my name. Axel stands over me with his arms crossed, a slightly annoyed expression on his face.

"Sorry, what?" I close my book and set it to the side, giving Axel my full attention.

"I asked where my apron is? It's not in its usual place in the back room. Where did you put it?" He raises an eyebrow at me, his tone accusing.

"What makes you think I did anything with it? It's your apron." I roll my eyes at his tone and continue to focus on my reading. "Maybe Steve took them all home last night to wash?" I quickly throw in, hoping he'll stop bugging me so I can focus.

He sighs and I watch through my peripheral vision as he runs a hand through his hair, turning back around to walk to the back room. Where is he going now?

I glance around the shop to make sure nobody is coming, and then I follow him back. I push open the backroom door. "What are you doing? I don't think you'll find it— Oh goodness, I'm so sorry!" I squeak in embarrassment and cover my eyes, quickly backing out of the room and shutting the door. I hear Axel's deep laugh and the sound of the door opening.

"Have you ever heard of knocking?" I peek open one eye but quickly close it again when I see his bare chest. Shielding my eyes, I turn around to give him some privacy. My blood boils with irritation and embarrassment at his teasing tone.

"Have you ever heard of a lock?" I quickly fire back, too ashamed to accept my own fault. He chuckles again and shuts the door. A few moments later I hear it open again, and I feel his warm hands gently wrap around mine, pulling them away from covering my eyes.

"It's alright, I have a shirt on." I open my eyes cautiously, sighing in relief when I see his chest is covered by a black tee shirt. I quickly frown at him and try to rip my hands out of his strong grip.

He raises an eyebrow at me and releases my hands. "Don't be so dramatic. You act like you've never seen a shirtless guy before." He starts to walk away, talking to me over his shoulder. I shut my eyes quickly, pushing back the unwanted images, my chest tightening when I fail.

"You have no idea." I softly whisper the words. A tear slips out and slides down my cheek. Quickly opening my eyes and wiping it away, I walk out to the front and take my seat again. Axel is cleaning the tables.

I watch him carefully, his biceps flexing slightly each time he drags the cleaning towel back towards himself. I frown at my own actions and quickly look away, reaching down to grab my book and divert my attention. Why can't I even enjoy looking at men without feeling like I'm betraying myself? Opening my book, I get easily lost between the pages again, pushing my thoughts away once again.