Six

"Well missy, do you feel like dancing?" Wyatt asked, his boot making a ringing thud to the beat as he tapped it against the metal of the pickup bed. The band had already played a few songs but Blake insisted we stay back until she finished her beer.

"Which missy are you talking to?"

"You. I already know Blake wants to, she's just not ready yet."

"If by ready you mean too drunk to stand alone, then she's getting there," I rolled my eyes, watching as she shotgunned her fifth in twenty minutes.

"She's more fun when she's drunk," he winked. "But anyway, are you ready for this?"

"What is there to be ready for?"

"Well, I might warn you I'm a hell of a dancer," he winked again.

"I'm beginning to wonder if you're winking at me or having a seizure," I chuckled, watching his ego deflate just a tiny bit.

"Well fine, if you're gonna be like that I just won't flirt with you anymore!"

"You call that flirting?"

Kellan joined in with a laugh. "He's terrible, isn't he?"

I shrugged. "You were just as bad the day we met."

"Are you ever gonna let me live that one down?"

"No sir," I grinned.

"Wait, what did he do the day you met?" Wyatt butted in.

"Just hit on me in front of my brother and picked a fight," I giggled. "No big deal."

"It was a sand fight," Kellan clarified. "And she was cheating anyway."

"First of all, that doesn't excuse your terrible flirting. Second of all, I call bullshit!"

"How was my flirting terrible?"

"You looked at my like I was a piece of meat!"

"Now, Kellan, aren't you the one who always told me to respect a lady? And said you'd kick my ass if I didn't?" Wyatt drawled, slowing his speech more than usual.

I was surprised to see Kellan clench his jaw until his face turned red. Usually it took anyone but Blake a lot more than a few words to get him riled up. That was what told me I needed to step in, as much as I hated doing that these days.

"Woah, buddy. You two both need to calm down. I'm just giving Kellan crap. What's past is past so now it's just a joke, alright?"

I watched Kellan take a deep breath and Wyatt readjust his hat sheepishly.

"Are we good now?"

Both boys nodded.

"Blake, you about ready?" I called.

She grinned lazily, "Yup, I think I'm good now."

I jumped off the tailgate, my boots hitting the ground painfully. "Shit. Why in the hell did you have to put a lift on this thing?"

"I could've helped you," Kellan said quietly as he landed next to me.

"It's alright," I shook my head. "I think Blake's gonna need a lot more help than me."

I watched her stumble to the tailgate before deciding to offer assistance. "Here."

"I got it," she slurred, waving away my outstretched hand.

"Hang on there, cowgirl," Wyatt advised.

A look of concentration replaced her loopy smile as she prepared to jump. "I can do it."