Fifteen

"Well, what do you say we get back to the rodeo grounds? Make sure my horses aren't stolen or anything," Kellan proposed with a chuckle.

Oakley and I picked up the bill that Shawn had dropped off in a huge hurry. I winced at the sight of the sixty dollar total but paid it anyway.

"Thanks for supper," Blake grinned, throwing an arm around my shoulders as we headed towards the door. "Next one's on me and Kellan 'cuz we're gonna win."

"I believe in you," I cheered, strolling through the door that Wyatt was holding ajar.

"Hey Coda, remember when you asked how we'd fit four of us in Wyatt's pickup? She giggled. "How do you feel about five?"

"Dammit, Oakley, you're messing everything up!" I teased, coming to a halt against the passenger door.

"You know what, Coda, you're the one who wanted me to stay!"

My eyes widened at her outburst and I took a step back.

The path to the door now clear, Oakley wrenched it open and crawled in, sliding all the way over so she was sitting next to Wyatt. I felt bad when Kellan crawled in next, his long legs sitting at an odd angle to give Wyatt room to shift.

"Well, buddy, looks like you're sitting on my lap!" Blake used the oh-shit-handle to swing into the cab and offered me a hand up.

I took it numbly and tried to get comfortable as she slammed the door behind us.

"Jeez, your butt is bony," she muttered, poking me in the side. "And I found your ribs! Holy shit, girl, eat a goddamn sandwich once in a while!"

I made a face from my perch and prepared for Wyatt's terrible driving as the engine came to life.

"Hang on to your hats, ladies," he cheered, shooting me a wink and hitting the gas.

He obviously found no problem in speeding straight off the curb with his lifted pickup. My head made contact with the ceiling as we flew onto the road and a splitting pain came with it.

"Wyatt, you better tone it down. I think you just gave her a concussion!" Blake stared at him with horror and gave my now throbbing head a motherly pat.

That drive back was an adventure, to say the least. Wyatt alternated between speeding and crawling because Kellan reminded him every thirty seconds that he should 'not drive like a dumbass because we had precious cargo'. Oakley pouted very indiscreetly between the two. I sat on Blake's lap and clutched my skull while she held on for dear life to my waist with one arm and the door handle with the other.

Instead of parking in his usual spot up above the rodeo grounds, Wyatt pulled in next to Kellan. All of the horses were thankfully still there, munching calmly on the generous amount of hay I'd given earlier.

I almost fell out of the pickup when Blake opened our door.

"Woah, nelly," Wyatt ran around to our side to rescue me. "Shoot, Coda, I'm real sorry about that. I didn't mean to give you a concussion!"

"I don't think you gave me a concussion," I muttered. "Just a headache from Satan."

Oakley sulked about fifteen feet away from us, texting furiously.

Kellan came around and lifted my chin, getting a good wince out of me. "Sorry, I'm just checking your eyes. They look okay. Is anything blurry?"

"I didn't know you were a doctor," I giggled, successfully causing more pain.

He gave me a mild dirty look. "Coda, be serious for just a second, okay? You smacked your head really hard and I just want to be sure."

"A little blurry but not too bad. Kellan?"