Chapter 2

The crisp air chilled Spottedpaw nearly to the bone. The full moon illuminated the forest in such a way she couldn't have imagined. The throng of cats surrounding her, pelts brushing against each other as they traveled to the Gathering spot. Hawkscar stayed close to the apprentice throughout the journey, nudging her in the correct direction when necessary. The warrior hadn't been wrong when he said getting her into the Gathering wouldn't be easy. Chills ran down her spine as she recalled their recent discussion with Deadeye.

     "Do you know just what you're asking of me, Hawkscar?" Deadeye hadn't even turned around to face the two cats. "I'm quite strict about our rules regarding who attends the Gatherings, and apprentices have not been permitted for many moons."

     "Yes, sir," Hawkscar bowed his head meekly, "but I do think it would be a good opportunity . . . for our apprentices to learn how to interact with the other Clans. We could teach them how to gather intel for you, as well." At that, Deadeye turned to face them. He was silent for a few moments, his sharp gaze piercing the two cats in front of him.

     Finally, he spoke. "This is why I've always valued you as an asset to the Gorge, Hawkscar. I like how you think." There was a pause—it was the most uncomfortable Spottedpaw had ever been as the tomcat stared her down. "Very well. I'll allow her—and only her—to attend, for now. This better not go poorly." The black tom flicked his tail to dismiss them, and the two cats quickly left his den.

     Spottedpaw flicked her ears, pushing the memory out of her mind for the time being. All different scents had started filling her nose, scents she faintly recognized from Hawkscar's border lessons; this time, they all seemed smashed together, and she realized they must be nearing the Gathering center. A glance to her mentor and a nod in return confirmed her suspicion. Upon reaching the location, Deadeye and the rest of the cats stopped just outside the threshold of the clearing ahead.

     The golden molly gave her mentor a quizzical look, who chuckled in return. "He's just assessing which Clans brought which members tonight. He'll lead us inside in just a moment." Though she knew he was only trying to reassure her, Spottedpaw felt far more anxious than before. She knew one wrong move and Deadeye would likely be furious not only with her, but with her mentor as well. There was no telling what the repercussions for such a thing would be; legends from the elders in the Gorge suggested Deadeye was not merciful with those who crossed him. A soft nudge to her shoulder pulled her out of her concerns—she saw Hawkscar giving her an amused look, as if silently laughing at her. "Relax. You'll do fine once we get in there," he purred.

     Deadeye gave a flick of his tail and the throng of cats began pouring through the brushes. Spottedpaw was quick to follow, desperately trying to stick next to her mentor. What sat beyond the foliage amazed her—more cats than she had ever imagined in one spot, and yet this was only a portion of the cats in all the Clans. Hawkscar led the apprentice to the outer edge of where the cats from the Gorge gathered, close in proximity to a particularly dry scent that was unmistakably BlazeClan.

     "Hawkscar, what if—"

     The cream tom cut her off. "Just follow my lead and you'll be just fine, enough of that worrying." The molly was about to speak up again when she spotted a few BlazeClan cats padding up to them.

     "Hawkscar," a dark brown tabby greeted casually. "It's been a few moons since I've spotted you at a Gathering." Hawkscar dipped his head in return and flicked at Spottedpaw with his tail, inviting her to copy him. The golden-furred apprentice quickly followed suit as her cheeks heated up in embarrassment. The stiffness of the movement only brought attention to her. "And who is this new pelt? Have you finally earned yourself an apprentice?"