Chapter 22

A cool breeze swept over the moorland, chilling the SwiftClan cats as they trekked across their territory. The full moon illuminated the group of cats, casting large shadows across the grass beneath them. Spottedpaw padded at the front of the crowd beside Fishstar, her golden pelt appearing oddly luminous next to her mentor's brown tabby fur.

     On the opposite side of Fishstar padded Brackenclaw, the muscular warrior's green eyes glinting in the darkness. Behind the leader, Brightpelt and Muddapple padded in front of the crowd of warriors, speaking in hushed whispers to one another as they followed Fishstar to the Gathering clearing. Spottedpaw angled her ears, trying to pick up a hint of what they were saying, though it was no use—the medicine cats kept their voices too low for anyone else to hear.

     Once they reached the edge of the sandy hollow, Fishstar paused. His green eyes glittered with anticipation, and he held his tail high to tell the cats behind him to halt. Spottedpaw paused and watched the leader expectantly, ready for him to lead the Clan into the clearing. Instead of doing that, he turned to her.

     "Remember," he murmured softly to her, his voice nearly inaudible, "stay in the hedges that border the clearing. We can't let Deadeye see you here." Spottedpaw groaned internally but nodded. She knew he was right; there was no telling what Deadeye would do if she was discovered here. The apprentice imagined that both he and Frostheart were fuming with her disappearance, and she didn't doubt that they'd break the truce to detain her. When Fishstar led the Clan into the clearing and clambered up the Gathering Stones, Spottedpaw fell behind and weaved her way through the prickly hedges. All of the leaders were already perched atop the ancient Tallrock, and the leaders of the Clans murmured amongst one another while Deadeye raked his eyes over the clearing scornfully. The deputies were scattered along the smaller Gathering Stones, their eyes all glittering uneasily. Below them, the medicine cats clustered together, refusing to include Frozenleaf and Shortpaw in their whispers.

     Spottedpaw gazed over to where the apprentices of all Clans gathered, searching desperately for her siblings and friends. As she searched, she only saw Echopaw, and Spottedpaw felt her heart drop. One of them has to be here, she told herself firmly. After a few more moments of searching, she spotted the familiar pelts of Nightpaw and Pearlpaw among the apprentices from other Clans. The two sisters sat near one another as the rest of the apprentices kept a bit of a distance, though when Spottedpaw crept closer, she noticed Echopaw sending them curious glances. It's not like they're all trained killers, Spottedpaw mused, holding back a dry chuckle. Then, remembering Pearlpaw's snake-like demeanor, Spottedpaw realized she didn't blame the apprentices for keeping their distance.

     Spottedpaw slowly crept through the hedges, careful not to snap any twigs or rustle the leaves. Once she got closer to the apprentices, she glanced from side to side. I have to get Nightpaw's attention without alerting anyone else, she reminded herself. Hopefully she can hear me if I just whisper.

     "Psst, Nightpaw," she hissed quietly, careful to keep her voice down. Spottedpaw didn't want anybody else seeing or hearing her—especially not Pearlpaw. The pale apprentice would surely go right to Dustpaw if she saw the golden apprentice, or even Deadeye, if she was feeling mean enough.

     Nightpaw flicked her ears, though she didn't move from her spot. Spottedpaw could see her eyes flitting around curiously, and she crept closer to the edge of the clearing. The golden tabby glanced back and forth to make sure nobody else was within earshot, and then she leaned forward to call to her friend again.

      "Over here!" Spottedpaw immediately shrunk back into the bushes when she said it, scared that she'd gotten too daring. Nightpaw slowly rose to her paws and inched back toward the hedges and, to Spottedpaw's relief, nobody else showed any signs of noticing. She watched as her freckle-furred friend sniffed the branches hesitantly and blinked in surprise. Her eyes shone with a mixture of confusion and disbelief, as if she couldn't believe the scent she'd detected. Nightpaw quickly climbed into the hedges, almost colliding with Spottedpaw and rattling the branches around them.