Chapter 31

Many sunrises had passed since Fishstar's death, and the warriors of SwiftClan were still trying to recover from it while adjusting to the leadership of Brackenstar. Naturally, Harestar had sent a messenger to the RushClan camp to spread the news of Fishstar's death—when they had returned, they announced that both Heatherstar and Kinkstar had taken the news harshly, and both leaders were now vigorously preparing for war.

     Spottedpath let out the softest of sighs as she let her mind process the events of the last several days. There was a patchy layer of snow on the ground, and her breath billowed in front of her like a puff of smoke. Brackenstar had forbidden her and the SwiftClan medicine cats from traveling to Starfalls, much to their dismay. Ever since he returned from receiving his nine lives, he'd kept a close eye on Spottedpath,

     Now, he held a small Clan meeting in the middle of the NightClan camp, and Spottedpath sat quietly with Mouseberry and Mosspuddle. Brackenstar had declared it to be a meeting for warriors only, and requested further that only SwiftClan warriors gather for it. Even so, most of the NightClan cats lingered at the far edges of the crowd for this meeting, many pretending not to listen to Brackenstar's echoing voice.

     Next to him sat Birchtail, the cat he had chosen as his deputy. The golden tabby molly looked somewhat uncomfortable sitting next to Brackenstar, her amber eyes glittering as she avoided the gazes of her Clanmates. Spottedpath didn't know which was more concerning—the fact that their new deputy didn't seem at all comfortable with her role, or the fact that Brackenstar had fallen so easily into a commanding leadership.

     "The attack on Fishstar was clearly the Gorge getting revenge for the rescue of our kits," Brackenstar spoke steadily, but Spottedpath could hear an unsettling anger hidden in his tone. "A mission we so carelessly launched." Even with the hint of fury in his voice, the leader was calmer than he had been in the passing moons.

     "What'll we do about it?" Mosspuddle's timid voice rose from her spot near Spottedpath and her brother. There was a sadness sewn into her soft tone that made Spottedpath wince inwardly, though her eyes never strayed from their leader.

     "Nothing."

     Surprised murmurs erupted from the SwiftClan cats immediately. Spottedpath stayed silent and glanced around slowly. Near the medicine den, she noticed all three medicine cats were whispering among themselves, and that their ears were angled toward the gathered warriors. 

     On the other side of the clearing, beneath the two large boulders that stayed propped against the massive tree trunk, Harestar sat with her eyes trained on Brackenstar. Spottedpath took a closer look, trying to pinpoint anything that might give her a clue to what the NightClan leader thought of this. Unsurprisingly, Harestar kept her emotions guarded.

     "What do you mean, nothing?" Mirepelt spoke up this time. Skepticism laced his voice, and he stared daringly up at Brackenstar.

     "I mean exactly that," Brackenstar responded coolly. "We're going to go back to our camp, in our territory. We'll rebuild our walls and pretend that none of this ever happened."

     Slowly, mutters of agreement rose from the SwiftClan cats. Spottedpath reeled in surprise at the willingness of them all. We're possibly days away from a war, and they want to go right back to where our lives fell apart? she thought incredulously. I can't stand for this. Without a word, Spottedpath rose to her paws and took a few steps forward.

     "That's a death sentence," she growled, directly meeting Brackenstar's surprised gaze.

     "Pardon me?" he sputtered and shifted on his paws.