Chapter 5 - Spontaneous Combustion

Frightened, I stared at the man in front of me petrified, until an idea crossed my mind. “If I’m a demon, then what are you?” The mysterious man’s grin dropped in to an intimidating scowl and before I even realised what was happening, the man spun around on the tip of his heels and slammed my back roughly in to a tree that once stood by us idly.

“You, know nothing, about me.” He spat at me, a considerable amount of venom laced his voice. I gulped back my nerves and boldly stared at his hood covered face, not caring if he considered it rude. “Well I know that you’re a control freak for one, barking orders at me like that, expecting me to behave like a dog.” I spoke freely, while lifting my nose higher in to the air as if that marked my defiance to disobey him. “Also the fact that you killed someone for not doing as you said must mean that you’re a psychopath.”

The mysterious man let out an inhuman roar and threw me roughly to the ground, his eyes stood out the most, they glowing one of the brightest shade of violet that I have ever seen in my life. Suddenly, his whole body was covered in blue flames as claws started to grow out of his hands and fangs extended from his mouth. I watched terrified as his hood flew off his head and gave me a proper view of his extremely bright violet eyes and his jet black hair.

The man was snarling at me as he started to stalk towards me, I scrambled to get to my feet to try to run away but before I could get even ten feet away, I found myself surrounded by bright blue flames. I stepped backwards as they started to move closer and closer together, making the inside of the circle smaller and smaller, it was forcing me to move towards the man who just spontaneously combusted.

The heat radiated from the flames caused the once cold, damp air to grow hot and humid. I stumbled as I fell backwards in to the demon like mans’ chest, the hot blue flames burning my skin, causing me to let out a hiss of pain. Suddenly, all the fire that surrounded us died but before I could even move I found myself being pushed on to the ground, a body soon straddling me.

The mysterious mans’ eyes glowed so brightly I had to look away from the protruding light. “Look at me demon.” He spat savagely at me, scared, I looked towards him, my emerald green eyes wide with terror. “See, isn’t it easier just to do as you’re told, that way you won’t end up hurt.” He smiled sadistically as his glowing eyes dulled down to his original, ice blue colouration that it was during our first encounter. Captivated, I continued to stare at him like a freak until his smile slowly turned in to a crooked smirk.

“Stop staring, or else you’re going to learn of the consequences,” the man almost sung, his eyes shining bright with his obvious amusement. Annoyed, I glared at the man that sat on top of my hip bones until I finally barked out a vicious growl at the surprisingly heavy man. “Now, now no need for that kind of talk, we’re both the same. We’re both half demons; well at least I know that I am.” He spoke carelessly while tapping my nose with an annoying, narcissistic grin on his face.  

I watched the mysterious man turn his back on me, my head still lay firmly on top of the slightly burnt grass as my mouth fell open in shock. “Wait!” I called out; almost sounded as though I was begging, desperate could even be a word to describe how I sounded. He stopped where he was; his hood was still off his head so I could see the tip of his nose as he turned his head slightly towards me, motioning me to continue.

“Why are you attacking me if I’m supposedly like you? And what’s your name?” I paused for a minute before realisation came over me, “And how the hell do you know mine?” the man chuckled loudly while he turned completely around so his back was no longer facing me. By now the rain had come to a standstill, and the faint aroma of the winter air flew strongly through the slightly blowing winds.

“Interesting story really,” he spoke as he neared me. His smile ever growing with every step he took, my eyes widened slightly as he stopped walking at a tree, which had deep scorch marks carved in to it. The man stroked it carefully, his eyebrows furrowed inwards, looking as though he was almost deep in thought. “Are you sure that you really, dearly want to know? Or is it because you want the confirmation that you aren’t the only one out there, and that this isn’t just a dream.” He spoke smoothly, refusing to meet my burning gaze.

“I want to know, no, I NEED to know,” I empathized on the word need, realizing again, that I must be sounding desperate for the information. The mysterious man chuckled yet again, still not looking at me as he continued to rub his hands all over the tree, his chiselled jaw tensing as he reached some rough looking bark.  I watched fascinated as he ripped that piece of bark off the burnt tree, his hands and eyes both skimming over it continuously, and he looked as though he was looking for something, but what?

As the mysterious man turned towards me, the piece of bark held tightly in his large hand, “Follow me,” he said darkly before walking towards my left, towards the centre of the forest. Nervously, I looked around me for anything that might be out of place, coming across nothing, I looked back to where the man had walked and realised that he was almost out of my sight. Breaking out in to a jog, I caught up to him in an heartbeat, my breath still fairly even, even though you could still see the mist of my breath falling out of my partially opened mouth.

“Where are we going?” I asked curiously, as I continued to jog to keep up with his fast pace, curse him for having long legs! “To the centre of the forest,” he answered, only slightly glancing at me with a kind smile, okay, I’ve come to the conclusion that he is bi-polar. “Am not,” the mysterious man barked at me with an annoyed glare, opps. I smiled sheepishly at him before looking towards my right, looking deep in to the forest surrounding me.

“Hey! You still haven’t told me your name,” I said while grabbing his slightly lanky figure and pulling him to a halt. The mysterious man stared at me in disbelief, his mouth even started to form in to an oval shape. “It’s Conrad,” he answered shortly before pulling his shoulders out of my grasp and continued walking, “Come on, I want us to get their before were both 100,” he called out, not even bothering to glance at me at all. Huffing, I slowly started to move my feet in a slower pace behind him.

“Hurry up woman! And here I was thinking that you were a demon of speed!” Conrad called to me, his voice lacing heavily in sarcasm. Ignoring him, I just made my pace slower, which resulted in the man groaning at me. “No need to rush me, slow and steady wins the race!” I called back cheekily, my grin stretching from ear to ear. Wait, how am I so calm around him?  He’s a cold hearted killer!

Suddenly, there was loud growling in the surrounding shrubbery, making me jump and run towards were Conrad stood with bright blue flames igniting his body, the piece of wood he once held was only a pile of ashes on the burning green grass. “Get out of here demon. NOW!” Conrad yelled while blurs of brown and black fur bounced out of the bushes and towards us. Soon a bright blue wall of flames separated me from Conrad and our attackers and it started to literally push me away as it edged closer and closer to where I stood.

“Hello Conrad,” an ancient yet strong voice echoed through the forest, a voice which I had heard once before in my nightmares. “My son.”

_______________________________

I realise it isn't much but because its the holidays now I'm going to try to update a lot sooner then what I have been. Please can at least one person comment on this chapter to let me know how I'm doing?